• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl from a Board

Website
www.beyondbark.com
Here is my first try at creating a bowl from a board. I am not too happy with it, but my wife and her friends seem to love it. It is hard to tell from the picture but I used a maple veneer to devide the two halves and each level of the bowl does not line-up like I wanted it to (It's like a misaligned segmented piece). We are all our own worst critic, but I'm not happy with mediocrity. I was very close to putting it in the burn pile but my wife would have disowned me.

Comment suggestions welcome.

16" diameter X 8" tall. Finished with a few coats of Poly.

Attachments

• BowlFromBoard1s.jpg
    BowlFromBoard1s.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 733
  • BowlFromBoard2s.jpg
    BowlFromBoard2s.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 732
Website
www.tahoeturner.com
Eric, to achieve perfect alignment when stacking angle-cut rings, instead of cutting half-rings, try gluing the entire lamination together, and then cut whole rings. This can be done with a thin parting tool with the lamination mounted on a MDF waste plate. The parting tool can be positioned to cut at an angle just like a band saw blade. With whole-rings, you don't have the need to "true up" the half-rings and it's much easier to line things up.

Website
www.beyondbark.com
great suggestion. I actually attempted this based on your book. I'll give the other technique a try next time. That seems a lot cleaner anyway.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I built a tornado for our entry into the group challenge many years ago using the parting tool technique. Of course on my tornado alignment wasn't a problem, in fact I had to purposely misalign them to get the twisting offset tornado.

i have made a number of similar bowls by cutting whole rings on the scrool saw. some with alternating woods like maplw and walnut, some with contrasting veneer between rings. iwould show one bu cant figure how to show attachment. i thin there are a couple in my gallery

I've made a few and the challenge for me is aligning the ring's patterns correctly when stacking and gluing together. I find I need to glue each ring on the others, one at a time.

Back