• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl coring

Website
originalrevolutions.com
I was thinking on buying a McNaughton center saver system, but it looks like they're sold out everywhere. Have they discontinued them or something or just way too popular to get? I have considered the One way and Woodcut as well, but the one way looks like you have to buy a bunch of different components and being new to this, I'm not even sure which components I need. Might have to consider the Woodcut system, but again there is or was the original, then the max 3 and now the max 4. I just want one system that would give me a large range of bowl sizes without a bunch of guess work.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I don’t do much coring but I have the McNaughton and it works nicely.

The strongest recommendation I can give for the ONEWAY is that around 2000 the most proficient user of the McNaughton in our club and the next nearest club switched to the ONEWAY. She said she switched it was just easier to use and quicker at coring.

One of the good points of the McNaughton is versatility on bowl sizes. But that also adds to the learning curve. All the other seem to run on a fixed diameter and with that comes limitations. I have own both types, so what you want to turn will probably effect the answer. But at the end of the day the well known reputable designs are all good.

Well, the McNaughton is a good system, but anyone who has tried to use it swears at it, and all who know how to use it swear by it. I can remove a core with it in less time than I can set up the other 2 systems, but that may be partially due to me using it more than the other systems. It does have a learning curve. The biggest problem with it, is that the bends on the blades are not perfect with the last inch or two going straight rather than following the perfect arc of a curve. This is why it always drifts to the outside of the cut as you go in. The deeper the core, the more of a problem this becomes. I guess that they profile the blades, as in rounding over the edges top and bottom before they bend it since all you would need to do is put them on a belt sander to get the 1/4 round profile. You can not get enough pressure on the tip for them to follow that curve, which is bending 101. A torch should help this, if you have a form for it. Some day, I will make my own.... The Woodcut system is a good set up. Only thing I don't like about it is that you need to engage the tailstock to use it, and for 99% of my bowls, I don't have the tailstock on the lathe. The Oneway is a good set up, and it is rock solid all the way to the end of the biggest core you can take with it. The main draw back as far as I am concerned is the cutting tip which, to me, is the worst design ever. Many switch to the Hunter, I think he calls it the core pro tip or some thing like that.

robo hippy

I’m fairly new with Mcnaughton. Only done about a dozen bowls so far. I picked it up used several months ago. I couldn’t find anywhere that had it new for sale after looking several months. I wonder if they went out of business?

I had some trouble at first. The blades weren’t a. Perfect radius, and one was slightly twisted. After dialing them in by bending in a vice I have not had any more trouble. Fixed the binding I was getting as well as the drift Robo mentioned.

Website
originalrevolutions.com
I’m fairly new with Mcnaughton. Only done about a dozen bowls so far. I picked it up used several months ago. I couldn’t find anywhere that had it new for sale after looking several months. I wonder if they went out of business?

I had some trouble at first. The blades weren’t a. Perfect radius, and one was slightly twisted. After dialing them in by bending in a vice I have not had any more trouble. Fixed the binding I was getting as well as the drift Robo mentioned.
That is what I am finding with the McNaughton. Nobody has one on stock. One dealer had one micro set, but nothing else in stock anywhere.

I went with the Woodcut, but cheaped out and bought the 3. f you decide on Woodcut, I suggest you go with the Max 4. It appears to be beefier and better made.

I have owned all three systems at the same time. The Oneway and the Woodcut are a whole bunch easier to use. The McNaughton was the first I got rid of. Of the other two the Woodcut was the least versatile, easy to use to cut one bowl but a lot more difficult when trying to squeeze out another bowl with the same knife. The Woodcut was the next to go. That leaves the Oneway, it is easy to use and for me it meant a trip to see Chris Ramsey who for me is the eminent user with the greatest knowledge of the Oneway system. I watched him core nine cores out of a burl and if he wanted to I think he could have got 11 or 12 cores. The Oneway system is a lot more versatile than it is given credit for. It can cut at different angles for different shapes maybe not as many as the McNaughton but not just one and done. I myself do not reach for a lot of different shapes but I stick with easy. And speaking of easy the greatest thing that happened for the Oneway is the Hunter Korpro cartridge as it cuts like nobodies business. Below see the cores and finished product that he demoed for me when I took a course with him. In total the Oneway is easy to setup and use, very safe and with the Korpro for me the best system.

Attachments

• ChrisRamsey.jpg
    ChrisRamsey.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 9Cores.jpg
    9Cores.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 53
I was thinking on buying a McNaughton center saver system, but it looks like they're sold out everywhere. Have they discontinued them or something or just way too popular to get? I have considered the One way and Woodcut as well, but the one way looks like you have to buy a bunch of different components and being new to this, I'm not even sure which components I need. Might have to consider the Woodcut system, but again there is or was the original, then the max 3 and now the max 4. I just want one system that would give me a large range of bowl sizes without a bunch of guess work.
Lee Valley is my go to for the system, but yes, they too are out of stock. You can check with them to find out when they will again be available. At least two of the systems now have laser options which make the set up and use easier.

I have the older Woodcut 2 blade, I dont think the 3 blade had been released yet. Its very easy to use and setup. I have contemplated getting a 3 blade version just for the larger blade. I have a mcnaughton also, that I’m still figuring out.

Lots of good comments. The only thing I'll add is that watching Mike Mahoney core with the McNaughton won't teach you anything. He's extremely proficient with it, but you can't have Mike in your shop doing your set up--you have to learn how to do that on your own. Look at Dale Bonertz's or Robo Hippy's videos instead.

As Reed/Robo says, it takes quite a while to learn the McNaughton, but it's quick to set up. The Oneway is easy to use, but a hassle to set up.

For me, coring is a way to take a nice blank and make a 3 bowl set for a wedding gift. Period. I don't need the versatility of the McNaughton, but all that screwing and unscrewing and taking off and putting on with the Oneway makes me crazy. Pick one, get some help using it at first, use it a lot and hopefully it'll become easy for you.

I've been using the Oneway for a few years now and have had no issues with it. I haven't used any other coring system so I can't compare. I have a hard time understanding why some find the Oneway troublesome to use. For me, it's easy to set up (especially with the setup spacers for the various knives) and easy to use. The bowl in my avatar is a core from the Oneway. Jim Sprague of Sprague woodturning has a very good demo on the setup and how to use the Oneway system on his YouTube channel.

Last edited:
There are a couple of sizes available at the Halifax branch of Lee Valley.

I went with the Woodcut, but cheaped out and bought the 3. f you decide on Woodcut, I suggest you go with the Max 4. It appears to be beefier and better made.
I have an older version of the Woodcut which I like but I was given it. The current cost is high and McNaughton appears to be cheaper, if you can find one. I think professionals would use the Oneway as it appears to be heavy duty.

Back