• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hill for "" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 17, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bottle Stoppers?

I have never made a bottle stopper, but I have an affinity towards small decorative forms with a high gloss surface. My dad's birthday is coming up, and he wants to turn in some bottlestoppers to sell. So, I need to buy some kits. There are high-quality kits and kits that are 10 for $10 on Amazon, does it matter? I believe that some items, buffing wheels, for example, are not worth spending much money on, because they are simple, and cheap works just as well as expensive if that makes sense. Does it matter if I buy cheaper ones or more expensive ones? What do you recommend for our first bottlestoppers that we will eventually make and sell a few?

I have made quite a few bottle stoppers and found that the cheaper ones have a plating that breaks down and starts to peel, in time. Not sure if the wine accelerates the process or not, but I was pretty upset to see some of the stoppers I made looking shoddy after only 18 months.

Ruth Niles sold her bottle stopper business to Carl Jacobson but they're still the same top quality stainless steel stoppers Ruth designed. There are also some available in brass. Bottle stoppers are a big seller in some areas but where I live I can sell more bottle openers. And the Pop top openers sell very well too.

Ruth Niles started the stainless steel bottle stopper business and the place she had them made started selling them as their own, lawsuit ensued with no happy ending if my memory serves me. Ruth had another place make them (I happened to visit that place and was very impressed with the business and the guy who ran it). For that reason and that alone is why I have always bought Ruth's products (now sold by Jacobson). The reason I don't use chrome is that wine actually will eat away at the chrome. While they may not be the best sellers around here is the fact that I don't know anyone who opens a bottle of wine that does not finish it😁

Yeah--we're not wine drinkers, and when i decant a good root beer i empty the bottle. But, we cook and keep use Ruth Niles stoppers for wine, oil and vinegar bottles. I think one of my vinegar stoppers is nearing 10 years with no degradation.

I have made quite a few bottle stoppers and found that the cheaper ones have a plating that breaks down and starts to peel, in time. Not sure if the wine accelerates the process or not, but I was pretty upset to see some of the stoppers I made looking shoddy after only 18 months.
Are there any decent ones on Amazon? I reckon that a couple of cheap Amazon ones to get a feel for it, and a couple of high-quality ones from Niles.

Cheap stoppers can be had on Amazon. They run about $1 a piece if you buy in bulk. You can sell them cheap and make a nice profit. If you buy the better quality ones, your price can go up accordingly, and you can take more pride in your work. If I were making for a gift, I would definitely spend a little more. I also find that if I display them side by side, I have to explain the difference. Most will spend the extra cash.

Do you think people would be less attracted to them without the shine of the steel?

Different horses for different courses. I have no insight about your potential customer base. I’m guessing you could profitably sell a cork bottle stopper for USD 5 - 7. My guess is that the a stainless steel bottle stopper would be priced between USD 15 - 20. Is shiny worth USD 8 - 15 to some customers? Probably. To all customers? My intuition is no. I fear the only way to determine the product, price and customer interaction is to perform the experiment. Best of luck and I hope you share the knowledge you gain.

Another vote for Niles Stoppers. I haven’t met Ruth, but Carl and Robyn are great. An added bonus for me is that they live about 15 minutes away. I like the stoppers with a flat bottom. They act as a little display stand when not in a bottle. I use exotic and highly figured cutoffs and sell them for $25-$30 whenever I do a show. I’ve covered the cost of several shows in stoppers alone.

Are there any decent ones on Amazon? I reckon that a couple of cheap Amazon ones to get a feel for it, and a couple of high-quality ones from Niles.
I have learned to value making prototypes, but you can make 50 stoppers and throw them all out without using up a single metal piece. Save the bucks you'd waste on cheap ones and buy good quality.

Another vote for Niles Stoppers. I haven’t met Ruth, but Carl and Robyn are great. An added bonus for me is that they live about 15 minutes away. I like the stoppers with a flat bottom. They act as a little display stand when not in a bottle. I use exotic and highly figured cutoffs and sell them for $25-$30 whenever I do a show. I’ve covered the cost of several shows in stoppers alone.
Thank You, we get a good deal of tourists in Alaska from cruise ships, and they seem to like the species that are unique to Alaska, or they haven't seen before, which is a double-edged sword because they are cheap, but they are soft. Maybe spalted beach wood or burls... a CA finish may help. That is good to know.

Issac you can also make cork bottle stoppers which for me are more functional and a lot cheaper to make and sell.

Attachments

• Bottle Stoppers.JPG
    Bottle Stoppers.JPG
    391.7 KB · Views: 5
Back