• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bob Stocksdale Gouge

Website
www.lubinwood.com
I just picked up a gouge with Bob Stocksdale's name on it from eBay, it seems to be a 5/8 bowl gouge with a handle like the AAW anniversary gouges in shape. I think it's standard HSS. Did Bob sell gouges with his name on them or some other vendor, I looked around on the net and found nada. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Stocksdale Gouge

Read the article on Glaser with the Commerative Gouges in the Journal. Spring 2006 Vol 21 #1

Glaser was a turner with engineering backgound. Made his first gouges for Stocksdale. Then went into the business. The article didn't list a signature gouge, IIRC. But going back that far, it wouldn't surprise me.

John :)

Website
www.lubinwood.com
If this was a signed Bob Stocksdale gouge that was for sale to the public, I would think there would have been a few more replys. I still think it would be against the odds to find one of Bob's personal tools on eBay as well. I don't have any other ideas as to the origin of the tool.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
kahuck said:
If this was a signed Bob Stocksdale gouge that was for sale to the public, I would think there would have been a few more replys. I still think it would be against the odds to find one of Bob's personal tools on eBay as well. I don't have any other ideas as to the origin of the tool.
Could you post a picture of the piece and signature?

bought one of these in 83 at a demonstration that bob did at the Japan Woodworker in Ca. The store was selling them at the time. He was pretty handy with it. managed to get in the far corner with the tip.

I just picked up a gouge with Bob Stocksdale's name on it from eBay, it seems to be a 5/8 bowl gouge with a handle like the AAW anniversary gouges in shape. I think it's standard HSS. Did Bob sell gouges with his name on them or some other vendor, I looked around on the net and found nada. Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

I'm new to the site & while having a look around I ran across the above post. I was wondering if you ever found out anything definative as to origin & date? I found one locally this past Sat. It's a bowl gouge measuring slightly over a 1/2" (.5595) & with the same logo & Bob Stocksdale signature. The ferrule looks like ss & 15 1/2" goncalo alves handle. I could be wrong on the species.

I don't know if a bio is reccomended. If it is, I'll send one along but be prepared to be unimpressed :)

Regards,
David Brown
SoCal

Jerry Glaser sold a gouge called the Stocksdale Gouge under his old company name "Turnmaster Tools" back in the late '80's and early '90's. Superbly made, the handles were made from goncalo alves, with a stainless steel ferrule. The high speed steel was M4, twice as wear resistant as M2, and used today in Oneway's line of gouges. If the gouge you bought fits this description, consider yourself very fortunate!
FYI, Jerry made the very first HSS gouge for Stocksdale around 1960, when everything else made was from high carbon steel. He formed Turnmaster Tools to sell HSS turning tools because the main manufacturers at the time were not interested in changing from their method of toolmaking. In my opinion, Glaser singlehandedly changed the woodturning world with his introduction of HSS tools.
J. Paul Fennell

Back