• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Black Walnut

mer

Hi All, I'm sanding a small BK bowl I have tried useing every method I know and I can't get rid of some fuzzy lines inside and out.Can any one help?
Thanks Mel :confused:

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
dddSharper tools, higher rpm'sand definitely shearing cut.That is what has worked for me. Which tool are you using? Plain bowl gouge or the irish or Ellsworth gouge?

I know those lines

Mel, I cut a fair amount of BW and sometimes have the same problem. Could be one of two things. First is to shorten the length the bevel on the tool. Grind the heel round so there is no sharp edge to collapse/mar the grain. Second is sometime I just need to spend lots more time in the lower grits to be rewarded with a nice surface. Hope this helps.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Is the wood dry? If it's still wet it can be hard to sand away those marks. Try heating it with a hair dryer. You just want to dry the surface.
It sounds like your having trouble with the uphill grain section of a bowl. On a side grain bowl there are two sections In which you are turning uphill on the grain. They will be opposite each other on the bowl. To get rid of these I use a bowl gouge ground to a much sharper angle, 40 degrees to be exact. Then I freshly sharpen it. Use very little pressure on the tool letting it cut at the best pace for getting rid of those pulled up fibers.
Sometimes putting paste wax on before the last pas will help this.

Mel I use a bowl gouge with a conventional grind. I either spritz with water or use mineral or walnut oil on those spots. The gouges I use are P & N. I sharpen them and then like John L. said take a couple of light finishing cuts. Mike Mahoney teaches this cut and it works very well.

Back