• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Black Walnut Bowl

I have an end grain black walnut bowl I’m trying to turn. Is it possible to have the wood too dry for turning? I’m having a difficult time coring out the bowl without launching them. In fact, I removed the tenon and used my screw plate. I have sharpened my tools on my diamond wheels but it seems so dry.

Attachments

• 69060CBF-E0A2-45F0-AB24-9BDCA3E8A679.jpeg
    69060CBF-E0A2-45F0-AB24-9BDCA3E8A679.jpeg
    614.8 KB · Views: 27
Are you cutting the opposite from a facegrain bowl? For endgrain rim to bottom for OD, center to rim for OD. While dry wood is harder to cut, endgrain is even more difficult if cutting the wrong direction. Long wing bowl gouges can core an endgrain bowl pretty quickly, but be careful of getting the entire wing edge into the wood - push the handle away from you as you pass through the transition curve to limit the amount of edge cutting wood. Spindle gouges are great until you get too far off the tool rest.

I use chucks, and 3/8” length for a bowl that size is plenty. Im guessing that is ~8” dia, I would use ~ 3” or slightly larger dia tenon. You can decrease tenon dia and lengthen the tenon if desired.

Last edited:
I agree with Doug's advice, except I believe he meant "rim to bottom for OD, center to rim for ID."

There are a variety of methods for hollowing end grain, but it is much different and much more challenging than face grain.

I am by no means an expert (and looking forward to hearing from them) but Richard Raffan recently posted a YouTube video in which he turned a small endgrain bowl. I know that he took special care with the tenon for the chuck because it was endgrain:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EayQJu1jIvE
Thank you for an excellent video on the subject. I watched it and subscribed to his channel.

Are you cutting the opposite from a facegrain bowl? For endgrain rim to bottom for OD, center to rim for OD. While dry wood is harder to cut, endgrain is even more difficult if cutting the wrong direction. Long wing bowl gouges can core an endgrain bowl pretty quickly, but be careful of getting the entire wing edge into the wood - push the handle away from you as you pass through the transition curve to limit the amount of edge cutting wood. Spindle gouges are great until you get too far off the tool rest.

I use chucks, and 3/8” length for a bowl that size is plenty. Im guessing that is ~8” dia, I would use ~ 3” or slightly larger dia tenon. You can decrease tenon dia and lengthen the tenon if desired.
Thank you for your reply. I guess I am doing everything the most difficult. I recognize that now but am not going to let this go. I will use the wings of my widest gouges and will make it. It will be done one stroke at a time. lol

I finally finished the bowl. It was quite a struggle. I had several crack lines that had to tended with CA glue.
My Ace in the hole was going to be my vacuum headstock. I was going to do a super finish like I did on the iron wood bowl. Got it all set up and was pulling a good 35hg and then it launched (several times). I took the 6 or 8 inch screw plate and tied her down hole filled. Finished hollowing it one bite at a time. Now for the bottom.
On my larger bowls I have been putting a rubber exercise pad (glued) so that it stays well on a finished table. So, belt sander to the bottom and then glue rubber mat down. I believe it’s done. FF3285A3-B2D8-4919-9A0A-7D9292BA3510.jpeg

I have an end grain black walnut bowl I’m trying to turn. Is it possible to have the wood too dry for turning? I’m having a difficult time coring out the bowl without launching them. In fact, I removed the tenon and used my screw plate. I have sharpened my tools on my diamond wheels but it seems so dry.
Just wanted to follow up and thank everyone

Back