• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Rabea Gebler for "Plum Blossom" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 24, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bergeron 3-volume Manuel du Tourneur

Hello everyone.

Dose anyone know where I can find a English translated copy of this ?
I found some photo's from this book that I want to know more...

Thank you.

C.A.G.

Attachments

• 9988041933_d65be56cfc_c.jpg
    9988041933_d65be56cfc_c.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 16

RichColvin

Super Moderator
Staff member
OTI Member
Website
www.colvintools.com
Hi Curt

Gemini said….

The three-volume Manuel du Tourneur by L.-E. Bergeron is a seminal work on ornamental turning, first published in 1792. It is considered one of the most important books on the subject, and its influence can still be seen in the work of woodturners today.

The book is a comprehensive guide to the art of ornamental turning, covering everything from the basic tools and techniques to the most complex designs. It includes detailed instructions on how to make a variety of objects, such as spindles, finials, and eggs. The book is also full of illustrations and diagrams that help to make the instructions clear and easy to follow.

Bergeron's book was translated into English in 1816 by Thomas P. Barlow, but this translation is now out of print. There is also an incomplete translation of the first volume available online. However, there is no complete English translation of the entire book currently available.

Despite the lack of a complete English translation, the Manuel du Tourneur is still a valuable resource for woodturners who are interested in learning about ornamental turning. The book is well-written and easy to understand, and the illustrations are still relevant today.

Here are some additional resources that you may find helpful:

• A Bibliography of The Art of Turning by Abell, Leggat, & Ogden: This book includes a complete list of all known editions of the Manuel du Tourneur.
  • Circuitous Root: This website has a wealth of information on ornamental turning, including an article on Bergeron's book.
  • The Galpin Society Journal: This journal has published several articles on the history of ornamental turning,including one on Bergeron's book.

Thank you Vitor

I have read a number of books on Ornamental turning over the years. (I am just a hobbyist with high goals.) I want to lean as much as I can.

What draws me to this book, is the machines he is using is un-like any that I have seen before.
The differences of what I've seen first hand and what I see in this book, makes me want more about the equipment, and how it differs form what I
have seen.
Knowledge is a endless quest, but finding out how to use a new tool is an Adventure that I have to follow. ;-)

Thank you for your reply, and insights about this book.

Have a great day.

C.A.G.

I found this digital version of the English translation (assuming you are after the knowledge and not necessarily the physical book). There are a couple print on demand copies listed on Abe books as well as one original of the 1877 translation.

Thank you so very much for this link. I found what I was looking for. the section on working Ivory and Bone. There is a lot of good info. In these pages, I will read more as soon as I can. But for now I found what I was looking for.
Thank you again.

C.A.G.

Back