• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Beall now has taps for headstocks sized threads

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
If you want to make faceplate blocks or wooden vacuum chucks that thread right onto your headstock, Beall now makes taps in 1"x8, 1 1/4" x8 and 33mm.

They look to be priced right too.

http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/spindletap.php

I can't vouch for the product, but I do know it is about 1/2 of what I paid for a 33mm tap a few years ago.

Good prices. Maybe someone with faster computer and connection than me could research this with Beal and learn if these taps are adequate for use in aluminum and steel, or just for wood?

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
Texian said:
Good prices. Maybe someone with faster computer and connection than me could research this with Beal and learn if these taps are adequate for use in aluminum and steel, or just for wood?
Looking at how open the tap is, definately wood only.

Website
www.cwsonline.com.au
I purchased one some time ago after seeing it previewed on the woodworking chanel.

Have tried it in a variety of timbers and works well. It is like most taps depending on what you are going through will dictate which size drill to use.

The advantage I have found is that if you are a little out you can reface and redress the mounting block.

You are able to have a large amount of waste blocks or jam chucks available without too much expense.

Definetly wood only .

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I want one for tapping metal. I need to call Beal and ask but I suspect this one is designed for wood and plastics.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
john lucas said:
I want one for tapping metal. I need to call Beal and ask but I suspect this one is designed for wood and plastics.

The Beall web-site says
wood block

I recall reading (on which forum, I don't recall) that McMaster-Carr has them, but I don't recall the P/N (the price was in the $50 class)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I looked at Enco and Grizzly. Price is why I was interested in the Beal. They are about double from those two.

Grizzly has 1 1/4 - 7 UNC. 1 1/4 - 8 UN is a non-standard "standard." Quoting from one of my old computer magazines, "The nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from."

Joe

Back