• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Beall Collet Chuck. How do like it?

I recently posted a thread seeking infomation on small diameter chucks and received some valuable information as a result. (Thank you very much.) I'm interested in hearing from those that have used the Beall Collet Chuck and what you think of it. Yes, they are expensive so I'm curious in hearing what those turners who've actually shelled out the cash for one, actually think of it performance wise. Thanks. MattW

I bought a Beall collet chuck late last year, primarily to make bottle stoppers. It holds 3/8†dowels and a 3/8†pin chuck very accurately with virtually no runout. It also usually holds the dowels with just hand tightening of the chuck, so changing to a new blank is quick. The fit and finish of the chuck is excellent. Changing collets is easy; just be aware of the need to insert the collet into the nose nut first, behind a small internal flange. A sheet describing this clearly was included with the chuck I got. Overall it’s a very nice small chuck, and saves me having to change to the long nose jaws on my Vicmarc chuck.

Have yet to find anything made by Beall to be anything but the finest quality. We have the complete Beall collet system, Beall buffing system and to Beall spindle taps. All perform as advertised. We are extremely pleased with them. You won't regret buying the collet chuck.

Joyce

Another nice thing that the Beall chuck offers is the ability to feed dowel stock right thru the headstock and thru the chuck, this is really handy if you have a lot of finials to make. This method also cuts way down on waste and saves a lot of time in preping finial blanks. Most lathes with a #2 MT headstock will allow the passage of 5/8'' dowel stock, some are limited to only 9/16'' stock.
The Beall collet chuck uses standard size ER style machinists collets, so there are many more sizes of collets available at your local machine shop supply, or online from such sources as ENCO online.

I have had the Beall collet chuck for about 1 1/2 years. I do not use it a bunch because that is not the type of turning I do on a regular basis. But, I do make duck calls and some other spindle type of turnings and have found the Beall chuck to work really well. I can put in a part of a duck call that has been turned round and it will fit tightly and when I take the part out of the chuck there are only minor marks since the part was grabbed completely around (not by four chuck jaws). I have saved parts, adjusted parts and there is no doubt that the Beall collet chuck has paid for itself just with things that I have saved by using it. I would like only one thing with the Beall chuck (and I have not tried to get one yet), I think they should have TWO of the tightening wrenches. I am going to approach Beall one of these days and try to get a second one.
Hugh

Not Beale, but great anyway

This is not Bealle to my knowledge, but several of my local buddies have this and love it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Woodturning-Lat...6959838QQihZ019QQcategoryZ42282QQcmdZViewItem

This is a local friend of mine. He provides great service and prices. I will probably be adding this to my tool collection soon.

Now, if you do smaller work you may be interested in this: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=1752&category=874479994

I do have these and use them a great deal. The only thing I can say about these is you need to have a longer tenon on them for better hold. But it is a much nicer experience than having the pin jaws slamming into my knuckles!

I know in the machine shop , we have a full set for the mill and wood not be with out one, if you are going to do this type of turning I wood reccomend you spend the $ as they will make life waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy easier to deal with wood in the shop.

I've never used the Beall collet system. I've only heard nice things about it but, I'm cheap.

I personally use collets that fit in my #2 morse taper, and they cost me less than $25 total to set up the two sizes I use.

I attached some threaded rod (purchased at my local hardware store) for the draw bar and run it through my headstock and use a small handle with a nut epoxied into it to tighten and "draw" the collet snug. It works great and holds small items quite securely.

I purchased from Enco, but I just googled and see that The Little Machine Shop has them priced very nicely. http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_category.php?category=874479994

Kind Regards,
Cory in MN

Attachments

• with drawbar.jpg
    with drawbar.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 108
  • handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 104
  • withstopper.jpg
    withstopper.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 104
Thanks much for all the helpful information. It's quite interesting seeing how and what other turners are doing when it comes to this. MattW

Back