• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Basket illusion question

I think that’s a matter of personal preference and how much eye drops you have on hand 🤪

I have done both and usually take into consideration how it may be displayed. On a wall, no one will typically see the back. On a plate stand, almost everyone will want to pick it up and certainly look at the back.

I think it’s also a function of how authentic looking you want it to be and how much time you want to invest in one piece.

Great job on yours - now let’s see the back 🤣

I've always finished mine, but I usually do a bowl/basket shape that sits flat on a shelf, both sides are visible. Personal preference, it's yours, do as you please.

Steve and Tim, thank you both for your input. As this is no.1, it is staying here. Wall, stand or base makes sense on how much needs to be finished. Now as soon as my eyes uncross, I’ll get the drops and have at it!

Hi Mark - well done! I have seen pieces where the person applied the design to just the front or the back -- as others have said here in this post - it really is up to you and make it however you want to make it. Personally, up to this point on the bowl/basket shapes that I have made, I have mirrored the design on the front and back. I have made a few hollow forms where the design is only on the outside - however you probably have seen that there are a few basket illusion guys that even do the insides of the hollow vessel!

Last edited:
Hi Mark - well done! I have seen pieces where the person applied the design to just the front or the back -- as others have said here in this post - it really is up to you and make it however you want to make it. Personally, up to this point on the bowl/basket shapes that I have made, I have mirrored the design on the front and back. I have made a few hollow forms where the design is only on the outside - however you probably have seen that there are a few basket illusion guys that even do the insides of the hollow vessel!
David, thank you very much. They are a lot of fun to make. Yes I have seen examples of hollow vessels worked inside and out. Way above my pay grade. That would be worth watching.

Back