• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to John Shannon for "Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 27, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Barracuda 4 chuck jaws

Does anyone know of a dovetail jaw set that will fit onto a Barracuda 4 chuck? The Penn State Barracuda 4 chuck has a 'straight fit'. I find myself in the need of a dovetail grip. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanx

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I'm watching this thread, definitely interested, although I have an off-brand clone of a , I think, Oneway chuck (with tommy bars) that has dovetail jaws (but only one size, and one set) , I'd be interested in a set for a barracuda (I may even get a second barracuda so as to not have to change jaws when I want to use one of the other jaw sizes) .. I'm starting to feel like Chucks are a woodturner's version of a woodworker's clamps - you can never have too many.. :)

Brian, Yes extra chucks are great, if you are a lazy-bones like me. When I started with the Barracuda 4 series, over time I was able to catch the 'chuck body' only on sale. This way (with 3 chucks) I have the 4" jaws, the std #2 jaws, and the pin jaws all ready to use. Now I just need to re-grip a bowl (with a dovetail foot) and hope to learn of a dovetail jaw set that might allow me to do so without having to 'craft' something up (again lazy me). Good Luck.

This question is posted in the section devoted to AAW organization information. You will probably get more and better responses (no offense Brian) if you repost it in the proper and more active section, "Woodturning Discussion Forum."

brian horais

Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.horais.com
Does anyone know of a dovetail jaw set that will fit onto a Barracuda 4 chuck? The Penn State Barracuda 4 chuck has a 'straight fit'. I find myself in the need of a dovetail grip. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanx
Philip, I got started with Barracuda chucks and now have three Barracuda chucks and a variety of jaws (as well as various other chucks and jaws). I agree that the Barracuda jaws do not have the dovetail edge you can find on other chucks - but the Barracuda jaws have been a workhorse in my shop. My solution to find dovetail jaws was to invest in a Record Power chuck that comes with a useful jaw set with dovetails. The Record Power chucks are solid, well made and reasonably priced and the dovetail edges on their jaws are precisely machined. I use these jaws for holding thinner platters with an interior dovetail cut in the bottom of the platter. My guess is that you are pursuing a similar application.

P.S. I'm not sure it is possible to have too many chucks....

Back