• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Band saw blade tension?

Searched but didn't come up with anything. Do you release blade tension on your band saw? Was cleaning the shop and thought of this. TIA.

I always release tension. According to Snodgrass, leaving the blade under tension will not permanently damage the blade or the saw. It will give the tires a flat spot, but this will resolve as the tires heat up with use.

I always release tension. According to Snodgrass, leaving the blade under tension will not permanently damage the blade or the saw. It will give the tires a flat spot, but this will resolve as the tires heat up with use.
Anyone from up north can identify with tires on a car that do the same in real cold weather. Drive a while, they heat up and get back into round. Mark, thanks.

I read somewhere, years ago - don't remember where - a guy claimed that leaving the blade tensioned would eventually compromise the frame of the saw. I think any bandsaw for which that's true is a bandsaw that's not worth having.

I purchased my Delta 14 inch in 1961 used it until about 4 years ago and never released the tension other than to change a blade, I never had problems with the tires or the bearing and never replaced the bearings or tires. I did have a problem with the upper blade guide that tension may or may not have caused the cast iron frame to deflect such that moving it up or down required readjusting the blade guides.
I now have an 18 " Delta with the steel frame and do not bother to release the tension since I can't reach the lever without a step stool.

Im convinced that that's written in the manual just so that you wear or the tension adjusters on crappy bandsaws. I've been through 3 adjusters on my crappy king delta clone.

I don't release tension on my saw because I use it multiple times a week and there's no quick release on my saw.

My Grizzly definitely has a bump/vibration if I don't release the tension and it sits for a day or more. It does have a quick release and I do have to be careful & go slow on the qr lever or the blade will come off one of the wheels.

Just a week or two ago I got a Timber Wolf blade for it. In the blade instructions it does say to release the tension between uses to help extend blade life.

I never take the tension off of my Laguna 16HD. No flat spots on the wheel at all. I have had it 15 or more years.

robo hippy

I don't think it's a big deal and it smooths out after a minute or three but I do notice it.
This is my first bandsaw so I don't have a huge experience base to draw from. I didn't notice the bump/vibes with the stock blade but I never adjusted the tension on the stock blade. It seemed fine from the factory. When I put on the Timber Wolf blade I followed their tensioning instructions and the blade is tighter than I had the original blade.
All these are data points but do they make a difference in tool or blade longevity or cut accuracy? I don't know.

Robo - I lived in Seattle for my first 50 years and have been in your area many times, usually on two wheels. Oregon was a different world then. I have friends there that live in a houseboat in the woods - or at least they were still living in the boat about 7 or 8 years back when I last visited them.

Back