• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Band saw blade life

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
How much life do you guys get from your bandsaw blades when doing heavy cutting (thick blocks being cut into rounds).

Does anyone resharpen blades? (I have not been)

Reason I ask is - I have been using the timber wolf blades - are they worth the premium price vs. other brands?

My blades usually dull before they break, and can be touched up to cut again if you care to. If you are prone to cutting wood with the bark on, or aged wood stored outdoors where it can collect dirt, they'll dull much faster than with clean wood. If you're not the kind to clean the blade after cutting acid wet woods, they'll corrode and dull the edges, and possibly corrode in the flex cracks that can develop on a blade which is warmed up and tightened down. Makes the cracks run and the steel weak.

I use the Suffolk blades, which, I believe are the ones you mention, and have used three or four other brands. I find the pitch and set of the Suffolk blades give me the best feel when cutting, so I came back to them. It's such a small cost per turning over some I've used, and they may actually last longer, I don't know.

They make a really fine 3/4 resaw blade for your flatwork.

KEW

Production shops seem to prefer Lennox blades (advertised mainly in the industrial venues). The Timberwolf are very sharp out-of-the-box, but the angles they sharpen the blades at cause them to dull quicker.

I think the Lennox bi-metal blade is the minimum you would want for edge durability and you may want to consider some of the more specialized options.
Look up woodcraftbands on the internet. Give them a call. Be prepared a strong appalachian accent, but the guy will do a good job of consulting with you on what blade will best suit your needs. The info on the link CaptJim posted are good guidelines on the features you should look for in a blade for cutting bowl blanks. They buy blade stock and cut and weld the blades in their shop. I have never seen a poor weld come from their shop (however they will replace a blade if the weld were to fail).

In the end, we turners abuse blades. Between the dense, exotic woods, thicknesses, and cutting through the bark; our blades see much more wear and tear than standard flatwork would involve.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Woodcraftbands other than being pleased with their service and expertise. The comments about Timberwolf blades dulling quicker is hearsay, but I feel it was told to me by an honest person with deep experience.

Last, here is a link to Russ Fairfield's info on selecting blades for turning:
http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Bandsaw-Using.html
(scroll down for the discussion on blades though you will probably have your attention diverted along the way :))

Good luck.

Last edited:

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Thanxs!

Thanxs for all the useful info.

One of our local chapter members suggested a local place that resharpens for less than 6 bucks a blade. Sounds like a deal - I read the how to sharpen thread - the six bucks sounds cheap LOL. :)

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
Just an observation about the life of the blade.

My blades have been lasting longer and going longer between sharpenings since I stopped freehanding my blanks and made a stout circle cutting jig for the saw. The cutting process is much more comfortable as well.

Hope this helps!

Dave

Website
www.abhats.com
Missing information . . .

You never mentioned the size of your blade. I started with a Jet 16" and 132" band (I think), and Suffolk blades would last about a month or two with heavy sawing of logs to blanks. I've now got a Mini Max MM20 with 171" band size (still with Sufflok!) and am just about ready to change the third blade after almost a full year of sawing all kinds of stuff, including black locust and bubbinga. Small band sizes will wear out quicker (but they certainly cost less).

Walt

Sky

My buddy bought 400 butcher shop meat blades of various lenghts for $1.00 each. I have 30 - 40 at a time rewelded to 105" for my bandsaw for $5.00 each. I have a jig to do it myself and just might this summer. The blades are only used one day cutting meat & bone (by law) then must be disguarded. They are still very sharp and cut very well. Only draw back is no set on teeth so only straight cuts can be done.

Part of the wear on bandsaw blades is reduction of set caused by side loading. You can extend the life of the blade somewhat, by alternating your direction of cut from blank to blank. I.e. CW, CCW, CW, CCW, ..., as long as the throat of the saw can accommodate the diameter.

Joe

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
I had noticed the reduction in tooth set.

The saw is a grizzly G0570 - I really like this saw, its been a workhorse - it takes a 100.5 inch blade. It does limit me to 8 inches of resaw though. Got the saw on end of model life pricing. :cool2:

Website
www.woodturningvideosplus.com
I resharpen my bandsaw blades all of the time...

Hello,

I have an article on my website that details my protocol for resharpening bandsaw blades. You can typically get about 8-10 resharpenings out of a band before you have to throw it out. It's a quick and easy process, have a look:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/resharpen-bandsaw-blades.html

Website
1.3 TPI Band Sources

Hello Bob,

I have gotten my 1.3 TPI bands from Laguna Tools and Spence Distributors in Canada. I like the 1.3's because they have huge gullets under the teeth (great for wet wood) and the set is wide enough to prevent binding.

I use both hardback and flex-back styles, depending on what I'm trying to cut/re-saw. The hardbacks are great for deep cuts in wet wood where the extra beam strength is really needed. Most of my cutting is done with the flex-backs, especially when cutting bowl blanks, turning squares and related general gross re-saw work.

I also use bi-metals and carbide bands, but these are only used for certain operations. About 95% of all my re-saw work is done with steel bands. I'm conducting a huge test of different bandsaw bands for an article that will publish later this year.

It will be one of the most comprehensive tests ever performed that is specifically geared for the needs of woodturners. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Spence's bandsaw blade catalog #'s

Could you provide some catalog #'s for Spence for some of the blades you are talking about?

Thanks in advance.

Resharpening Old Blades

This thread came at just the right time. My blade was beginning to get dull and I was wondering whether I could sharpen it. After reading the thread I took out my dremel with a grinding wheel attachment and the blade has new life. I have an 80" 3TPI blade only took about 5 minutes to redress all the teeth. Works great.

Website
I'll have to look it up...

Hello Bob,

I will have to look up the Spence part numbers... I will post the numbers from my last order later today. Take care.

Website
Here is the info you requested...

Hello Bob,

Here is the info for my last order with Spence Distributors...

Part # 12-251.3

Carbon Steel Flexback

1"

1.3 TPI

.035" thick

150" length

I'm not sure if these will fit your saw or not, but the website will allow you to customize the band to fit your needs. Take care and good luck!

Back