• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Axminster sk114 chuck?

New to turning and pulled plug on PowerMatic 2014 (1 HP). Bought the Axm SK100 Clubman Kit ($200ish) and considering a second chuck. Is the SK114 too big for the Powermatic 2014? Can I get recommendation for a second cheaper chuck that is matched to the PM2014 and of course my beginner status?

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Hi Raja! I have an SK114 and it’s an awesome chuck. I don’t see any reason why it would be too big for your 2014. It will also be a nice one to have if you ever buy a lathe with a bigger swing. The downside to the SK114 is the expense. If you want a nice budget-friendly second chuck, the Nova G3 is great for the price.

Last edited:
just bought that chuck. Love it. Stainless steel. Engineered tolerance is amazing. Easy to use. Heavy. Five year warranty. Blows away Oneway—which rusts—and other chucks. I’m sold. Axminster is great.
You should check, I believe they have went to a lifetime warranty if purchased after a certain date.

The UK site still has the 114 package on sale for $305. Free shipping to the us over $120.

Chuck body and jaw size are a function of project dia and height (taller jaws/longer tenon play into project ht) but there are no hard and fast rules.

The G3 chuck is a good value (I have one). The 4” jaw set would accommodate the largest inboard piece you would turn (possibly not a tall large OD hollow form). Larger outboard turning should probably be done with a larger body/jaws. The newer pro-tek version is righty tighty, with dovetail jaws, vs my old version that is lefty tighty and bird beak jaws. Nice to keep the chucks tightening in the same direction.

FYI - Im a fan of Oneway chucks and the profiled tower jaws. I have the Stronghold, and may replace the g3 with a Talon one day.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
just bought that chuck. Love it. Stainless steel. Engineered tolerance is amazing. Easy to use. Heavy. Five year warranty. Blows away Oneway—which rusts—and other chucks. I’m sold. Axminster is great.
I pretty much have at least one of most every major brand of chucks (no easy change jaw chucks) including the SK114. I prefer my 4 Oneways (2 SH's & 2 T's) for most applications ... my go-to chucks. Never had a problem with rust (don't often turn wet wood) even though my basement shop can get very humid sometimes. Tool rests, bed ways, etc., occasionally have a light coating of rust ... but not my chucks.

Last edited:
Stuart Batty said the difference between a Uk and USA woodturner is

The Uk woodturner has one chuck and and 5 sets of jaws as US woodturner has 5 chucks and 5 sets of jaws

I am a Uk woodturner Until last month I had a Axminster sk100 and 6 sets of jaws

I have just purchased a SK114 which was on offer

The jaws I have C, M, an A varient and a set of 3 O,donnel jaws

95 % of the time I use the c jaws

Stuart Batty said the difference between a Uk and USA woodturner is

The Uk woodturner has one chuck and and 5 sets of jaws as US woodturner has 5 chucks and 5 sets of jaws

I am a Uk woodturner Until last month I had a Axminster sk100 and 6 sets of jaws

I have just purchased a SK114 which was on offer

The jaws I have C, M, an A varient and a set of 3 O,donnel jaws

95 % of the time I use the c jaws
I've been looking at the "A" jaw simply because axminster said it is a little bigger than a "C" and you can get the face plate rings with it. I don't know, I've been getting by using the "C" jaws and rings on some pretty big chunks of green wood.

That price they have going on now is what I paid for my second 114 a while back but they have went back to the normal price here.

I do use my "c" jaw the most as well because I have several vacuum chucks and a jam chuck that I use the "c" rings on to make it easier to switch back and forth between them.

Ordered the gripper jaw simply so I didn't have to get the 15 degree tenon precise. When I true up a larger tenon on a rough turned bowl I end up with it being too small to use with my "m" jaws. So with the "G" being just a little bit smaller all I have to do hopefully is just turn my 15 degree tenon into a straight edge and hopefully I'll be good to go.

So my arsenal is 2 - sk114 chucks, C,M, the set of 3 O'Donnel and waiting on the G gripper. My americaness must be showing through because it sure would be nice to have a chuck to go with every set of jaws! LOL

I'l probably settle for another sk114 down the road so one will be for the "C" jaws, one for large jaws and one for the O'Donnel. Wait!, I need one for the middle sizes..........

When I upgraded to a larger lathe I bought two of the Nova Pro-Tek Supernova chucks. They are reasonably priced. I've turned many a piece without feeling a need to go to something more expensive.

When I upgraded to a larger lathe I bought two of the Nova Pro-Tek Supernova chucks. They are reasonably priced. I've turned many a piece without feeling a need to go to something more expensive.
I didn't do it because they were more expensive that's for sure. I wanted the stainless steel because of the green wood I was turning at the time. I don't like the keys that have the teeth on the end either. Ones with the allen shape would have been ok but I think axminster is the only all stainless and I like buying things only once. These I'm sure will last me the rest of my life.

My Axminster Evolution SK114 came with the type C dovetail jaws and I bought the larger M also. I want to get a real small set for making tiny bowls and turned objects. Not sure what—I think the 25 mm O’Donnell is what I’m looking for, or maybe dovetail type B. It’s quite confusing

I have two of the sk114 chucks.
For me, I found the O'Donnel multi set jaws, the g jaws and the C Jaws, the most useful for general turning.
I've only had my "g" jaws for a few days but I'm really liking them. I've finish turned several bowls so far. For me it's easier to true up a tenon and not have to worry about getting the dovetail angle just right especially with the tailstock in the way.

I've only had my "g" jaws for a few days but I'm really liking them. I've finish turned several bowls so far. For me it's easier to true up a tenon and not have to worry about getting the dovetail angle just right especially with the tailstock in the way.
That’s a big set of jaws. Are you turning big bowls?

That’s a big set of jaws. Are you turning big bowls?
Sometimes, it's just approx a 3.5 inch/90mm tenon at the perfect circle of the jaws. I'm pretty confident that a bowl won't go flying if something unexpected happens. Unless the tenon breaks off but I can make it longer. Another nice thing about the gripper jaws, they are deeper than the "c". Couple of times I have turned a bowl around and I didn't make the tenon short enough for the "c" jaws. More leeway this way.

Currently $390....
I know, they went up in price right after I saw the sale.
I did notice there is another company here in the us carrying axminster now so hopefully that will generate some competition and some sales. Probably not though.

Since I had the jaws I ended up going with just a body before there's another increase.

The extra jaw slides are handy, but getting expensive. I have them on each set of jaws; Really cuts down on change over time. They however are not made of ss like the rest of the chuck and jaws, and will rust if not coated with something before turning green wood.

Last edited:
The extra jaw slides are handy, but getting expensive. I have them on each set of jaws; Really cuts down on change over time. They however are not made of ss like the rest of the chuck and jaws, and will rust if not coated with something before turning green wood.
My sister gifted me with another sk114 the other day. Body only but since it had the slides with it and all my other jaws I have bought slides for because of the reason you mention. I have an extra set now. Means I better figure out another set of jaws to go with them! What do you think would be the handiest? I already have the O'donnells, G-H gripper, M and C. Probably all my bases are covered. Maybe a colossus jaw but then I would need a bigger chainsaw to cut the blanks......Where does it STOP?

Back