• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

April 2009 Message from the Board...

Click on this link to read Binh Pho's April 2009 message.

Binh_s.jpg

Huh?

I've already made plans to attend the Symposium in ABQ with a hotel reservation but haven't registered yet. After reading Ben Pho's message I'm not sure I want to register. I quote:

"... we have rotations free of flying wood chips organized by POP. Attending won’t get your hands and clothes dirty, but it will get your creative juices flowing."

Seeing the chips fly is why I attend. I'm a woodturner, not a painter, carver, piercer, burner type. From the demo list there's an awful lot of emphasis on how to sell your work and how to become a good demonstrator. I don't do either.

I've always enjoyed the vendor area and have learned a lot there in Louisville and Portland so if I come I think I'll just hang out in the vendor area. I'm beginning to think AAW has lost its way......Ron

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
I've already made plans to attend the Symposium in ABQ with a hotel reservation but haven't registered yet. After reading Ben Pho's message I'm not sure I want to register. I quote:

"... we have rotations free of flying wood chips organized by POP. Attending won’t get your hands and clothes dirty, but it will get your creative juices flowing."

Seeing the chips fly is why I attend. I'm a woodturner, not a painter, carver, piercer, burner type. From the demo list there's an awful lot of emphasis on how to sell your work and how to become a good demonstrator. I don't do either.

I've always enjoyed the vendor area and have learned a lot there in Louisville and Portland so if I come I think I'll just hang out in the vendor area. I'm beginning to think AAW has lost its way......Ron

I agree, it sounds the same as what the latest journal offers.
Mike

Website
www.thewoodspinnershoppe.com
The first sentence of the letter sets the subject, POP, Professional Outreach Program. Binh's letter is targeted at the professional turner AND people who may want to turn professional. It wouldn't hurt any of us to know that the professionals think about where woodturning will go in the future.

I am not a professional turner - yet. However, as I near retirement, I would love to have my hobby help provide for new toys(, ah, tools.) I do 'sell' my work, it's just that the price is $0. The more I do for family and friends the more they become interested in turned items (which may lead to them purchasing from a professional; fortunately, none have asked me to duplicate a piece they saw at an art show, and I never would.)

I also enjoy helping other turners, so while I may not demonstrate, (again, yet) demonstration skills are used when helping others. At our monthly meetings, before and after the show & tell, we all get questions about technique - you may consider that just a conversation, but it is really a demonstration (without the demo part) where you are sharing (teaching) others.

Looking through past journals at symposium schedules, as well as articles, presentations targeted to the professional turner were few and far between.

There are lots of rotations where you can see the chips fly.

While I have yet to attend a Symposium (seems work keeps getting in the way) having rotations for the professional turners is an outstanding idea.
I hope to attend next year's symposium and hope that POP rotations continue.

Cheers, :)

Binh’s letter is to shed light on the POP which as he points out is a program for professional members or those that want to become more professional. In years past, the AAW had nothing for the professionals, only for the amateurs. Obviously, the vast proportions of the rotations at the symposium are aimed at the amateurs with tons of chips flying and lots of techniques to learn and projects to do. Binh was simply pointing out that if a member has moved beyond the hobbyist level and wanted more, it would also be available.
The AAW symposiums are for all members with something for each. Don’t miss “SIG†night for all of the special interest groups like pen makers, segmented turners, ornamental turners, collectors, etc.
We are not just about hobbyists anymore but have expanded to include all levels of interest. If you come, you will have a great time and learn what you came for.
See you there.
John Hill

Binh Pho

In Memorium
Respond to Ron and Mike's concern

Dear Ron and Mike,
I completely understand your favorite subjects in woodturning, everybody has their favorite thing to enjoy, but please help me understand the decision of not coming to the symposium because the AAW add 11 rotations of the POP to an outstanding symposium line up: 140 rotations of complete coverage from pen turning, segment turning, bowl and hollow form, and multi axes turning from the superior turners like Mike Mahoney, Nick Cook, Mark Sfiri, Andre Martel, and the list goes on. I don't think you will have enough time to see all your favorite woodturners demonstrating.
We add on the POP rotations for those who interested but not intentionally to turn you away from our symposium. After all...Ron and Mike, the members that interested in the POP rotations, they're also AAW members, we have shared our technique to each other for the last 24 years. Can we share our play ground in the symposium as well?
Hoping to see you there, if not I know I have tried my best.
Sincerely,
Binh

Website
www.mikecunninghamwoodturner.com
Dear Ron and Mike,
I completely understand your favorite subjects in woodturning, everybody has their favorite thing to enjoy, but please help me understand the decision of not coming to the symposium because the AAW add 11 rotations of the POP to an outstanding symposium line up: 140 rotations of complete coverage from pen turning, segment turning, bowl and hollow form, and multi axes turning from the superior turners like Mike Mahoney, Nick Cook, Mark Sfiri, Andre Martel, and the list goes on. I don't think you will have enough time to see all your favorite woodturners demonstrating.
We add on the POP rotations for those who interested but not intentionally to turn you away from our symposium. After all...Ron and Mike, the members that interested in the POP rotations, they're also AAW members, we have shared our technique to each other for the last 24 years. Can we share our play ground in the symposium as well?
Hoping to see you there, if not I know I have tried my best.
Sincerely,
Binh

Hello Binh,
Actually, and as you know from having read the letter that I sent to the BOD (I assume you read it but I wouldn't know), my problem is primarily with the journal. Your letter simply reinforced what I feel. As I stated in my letter....BALANCE, not brightly colored furniture, not Castrol oil cans, not buckets containing colored light bulbs, not stool joinery, not "pre-turned wooden objects" not apple pie recipes or photos of apple pies, etc. WOODTURNING for beginners, intermediates, advanced types and artists. That journal is moving further and further from balance. The primary tool that the AAW has for reaching out to new members is the journal. When new turners look at the current issue what do they see? They see the aforementioned and very little that would appeal to them.

It's not a question of my favorite part of woodturning nor anyone else's. It's a question of producing a journal that is balanced and inclusive. Based on Spring '09 that's not happening and if it continues AAW will suffer.

I won't be in NM but may attend Hartford........we'll see.
Mike

Last edited:
Ron, please note that Binh said, "IN ADDITION TO THE OUTSTANDING U.S. AND INTERNATIONAL DEMONSTRATORS THAT ARE LINED UP, we have rotations free of flying wood chips organized by POP."

In other words, all the stuff you want to see, and much more, will be included in this year's rotations.

I am a member of two AAW chapters, each of which practices the policy of offering instructive critiques to members who wish to take advantage of them at every meeting. This tends to help them improve their work at an accelerated pace, and many of them are hungry for advanced ideas such as those provided by the POP.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Symosium hits a broad spectrum

Ron, Mike,

Please look at the rotation Schedule http://www.woodturner.org/sym/sym2009/ScheduleByRotation.pdf

Please let me know what you think we may have missed.
I was in on the planning of this sympsoium and we made an effort to reach all the factions we could describe: Beginners, Hobbyists, Serious hobbyists, Educators, Professionals. I think we did pretty well.

What should we try to include next year?

The sympsoium program has lots of things for everyone.

76+ HOW TO demonstrations Featuring objects:
Closed forms, Open forms, Segmented forms, Boxes/containers, Spindles, small treasures, peppernmills, pens, and unique signature work of the demonstrator

44+ HOW TO Demonstrations Featuring techniques
deep hollowing, multi Axis/center, carving/piercing, alternative materials, texture, color, Ornamental Turning

30+ More esoteric food for the mind
business and inspiration/design

And another 23 I did not categorize

Youth Classes

I realize that among beginners only a few have a desire to become professionals. I also realize there are lots of casual hobbyists out there.
Casual Hobbyist generally don't join the AAW and won't come to the Symposium.
The one element that distinguishes the other groups from the Casual hobbyist is the desire to learn more about some aspect of woodturning.
Casual Hobbyist are sort of woodturner groupies They don;t want to learn turning they just want to be in the group.

See you in Albuquerque
Al

Last edited:
I have a lot of respect for most of the posters on this forum, including Ron and Mike. But, I think Mike is, in this case, mixing peaches and apples. The symposium is not the journal. Let's keep those subjects separate and address the subject of the symposium. Read again Binh's post. The POP is IN ADDITION to the regularly scheduled rotations. Nothing is being lost but a lot is being added to appeal to a group of our peers who have an interest. As previously stated, you just can't see all of the rotations anyway and must pick and choose based on your particular interest. I fail to see the problem with that. Hope to see you in AQ.

Reply to Al

I am a hobbyist, retired, woodturner who is a member of AAW and have attended the last three sympsiums. I take exception to your remarks. I just want to become a better turner, gain self satisfaction and enjoy my own improvement. I don't want to be a professional turner, I don't want to sell my work, I want to enjoy myself learn more and improve my skills. I think AAW leadership is missing the point of membership if they think as you state in you comments.

Bob Allen

Equating Casual Hobbyists with Woodturning Groupies seems over the top to me, too. There's more likely a break somewhere on the spectrum. The Casual Hobbyist DOES want to learn, but career and family get in the way. How many of us got the bug from Nawm and Roy? (Abrams, Underhill), and had to wait a few years?

Developing demonstration and selling skills can pay off in other areas, too, such as citizenship and career. And when I run out of shelf space and victims, I might have to sell some work just to keep on turning.

I'm not sure about Albuquerque, but the Journal helps to stretch my imagination.

Joe

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I am a hobbyist, ..... I just want to become a better turner,
Bob Allen

Bob,
I did not communicate well ("If it can be misunderstood it will be"). If I had been clearer you would not take exception.

The point of the AAW providing education to the membership.
The vast majority of the AAW membership are hobbyists. mostly "serious hobbyist" who enjoy woodturning and want to "LEARN".
I tried to say very few of our members want to become professionals. I don't want to become a professional.

If you look at the Journal and the sympsoium lineup. The hobbyist is the target audience. The bulk of both are aimed at the intermediate level.

The "groupie" segment I was trying to describe are those that don't care to be better turners. I see a fair number of them in clubs around the county. They won't read this. they don't participate in forums because they have no interest in learning. They are just there for the social aspect.

happy turning
Al

Last edited:
Back