• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to John Shannon for "Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 27, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Appalachian center for crafts workshops

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just looked at the summer workshops at the Craft Center. Man there are some good ones. Clay Foster, Binh Pho, Mathew Hill, Kip Christianson @ Tom Fortenbery, Nick Cook, and Bob Rosand.
http://www.tntech.edu/craftcenter/wkshops/Jan_Nov_09/calendar.html
Come on down and visit. We are halfway between Nashville and Cookeville. If you come to one of them give me a ring. I'm only 15 minutes from there.

Workshops

I live near Cookeville as well and am a new woodturner, which workshops would you recommend. I also would appreciate your thoughts on quality basic turning tools. Thanks.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Steve The best thing to do would be to come over and let me show you the tools and discuss what kind of turning you think you might be doing. The grinds on the tools are also important. Send me an e-mail and I'll tell you how to get in touch with me. jlucas@tntech.edu If you happen to be on the TTU campus come by Photo Services in the Roaden University Center and we'll talk.
If your new at woodturning the spring classes with Bobby Clemmons or myself would be a good start. For the Summer classes you won't find anyone any better than Nick Cook although you will learn quite a bit from several of the others. Binh Pho might be a little advanced for a beginner.

Back