• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anyone use Spindlemaster?

Website
www.myspace.com
Hello everyone. I was curious to know if anyone or a lot of people use the Spindlemaster. It seems to look like a well versatile tool. But I imagine there are pros and cons too.

Mostly I will use a basic 3/8" or 1/2" gouge and I also have a skew and use them back and forth depending on what my turning project is. I was thinking of picking one up if it is worth it. Seems like couldn't go wrong with a tool that is in between or is 2 in 1 tool.:D

Thanks,
Ray
Gothyc Designs

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
spindlemaster

When I was fevershly turning pens, the 2 sizes of Spindlemaster were my favorite tools. Just put the flat side on a stone or whatever you used and sharpened it. Now that the fever has gone down and bowl turning has replaced the pen making I hardly ever use them, but glad I have them. Max

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Ray, I have two Spindlemasters, and like Ray, I only use them when I make pens. They are handy for getting a very smooth cut on the wood.

But, you can accomplish the same thing with a skew. I bought the Spindlemasters when I was not comfortable using the skew.

After several hundred snowmen ornaments, using JUST the skew, I'm better at using the skew chisel. I used to use the Spindlemaster for them, but with a friend's help and self-imposed discipline, the skew became easier. When the Spindlemasters are used up, I probably won't replace them.

Website
www.burntchimneystudios.com
Spindlemaster is too thin

The Spindlemaster from Sorby is too thin and it is "whippy". If I had one I would give it away or reshape it for a different use. :(

I have and use the Hamlet or Packard Spindlemaker, which is an excellent tool. It is thicker than the Spindlemaster and works fine. If you saw the article by Bob Rosand in the recent Journal on making sea urchin ornaments, then consider the "toothpick" part of the icicle. I use the Spindlemaker to final shape or smooth the teardrop and toothpick. Used correctly it can produce an excellent surface and it isn't as grabby as a skew might be. :)

Website
www.myspace.com
Thanks I kinda had a feeling that would be the answers. I have a new skew and I need to practice with it more. But the bevels that it was made with kinda make it hard to use. Does anyone slightly modify a new skew when they get one. If so, what is the best way to do this? Is a oval skew any better than a straight cut skew (diagonal look)?

I have asmall cheapy skew and have modified it quite a bit, some may consider it like a scraper, but it is small (3/8") so it seems to handle better than the 3/4" new skew.

Thanks for the replies.:D

Later,
Ray K.

Try a straight chisel. You can go with a Bedan type, a single-bevel, or a double bevel "beading tool" depending on what you have available for modification. Or you could go somewhere and see someone who has one or more of them. Goes without saying that you don't need to see anyone who has, but does not use the tool. They can't teach you its tricks.

I prefer a straight chisel. Of course I have to tilt the tool to get the same edge presentation as a spindlemaster, but I find good bevel and toolrest support is still there at cutting angles. Don't care to use a skew much, it's fine for planing, but the other tools are easier to learn and produce fine cuts.

You'll probably have deduced that it's sort of a forged gouge with no flute or a curved edge skew in theory of operation. In my brief encounters, I found nothing special about the tool to recommend it over either.

styles of skews (again)

If you wish more info about various styles of skews and how people learn to use them and how to grind them there are several threads from the past.

a major one is from March 13, 2006, started by Dudley.
It is called :) skew :)

search using skew in the title area or find member dudley and find this thread that he started.

Back