• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Any comments on the newer lathes?

Anyone care to comment on impressions of the Robust Lathe or the new Oneway, or any other new lathes you saw? I was unable to make it this year.

Bill Grumbine

In Memorium
Website
www.wonderfulwood.com
Well, I wasn't there this year either, but I can comment. I saw the Robust in person last year in Louisville and thought enough of it that I am buying one. I thought my Poolewood would be my last real big lathe, but that turns out not to be the case. I will be glad to post more about it when it arrives, but that won't be for a little while yet.

Bill

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I am a big fan of the Robust, which is now being sold now through the Craft Supplies (also). The Serious has some great features (when it is available) like true spindle speed on the remote LED and the index pin number when in indexing mode displayed on the remote. They are both quite different than the new Oneway in both their suitability and thier intended customers.

Website
www.SmoothTurning.com
I saw the Robust in Portland and it has just about every feature I would want in the lathe. Although I'm relatively young, the tilting tailstock is a great feature to keep in mind as I move into later years. I have a Powermatic now and don't really forsee an upgrade for at least another 5 years, but the number of times I take the tailstock off and put it back on will certainly take its toll when I'm older.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Steve
One of the owners of Serious was at my club's meeting recently. I talked with him some time about the lathe and their plans:
  • The lathe they will be selling is not the lathe they had at Portland, it will be larger, and heavier
  • Unlike Robust, this is not their full-time gig. This isn't a hobby-business, but they have other jobs (besides) Serious
  • Some of the parts, other then the main castings, may also be custom (the casting all will be custom)
  • While Robust go go under, as easy as Serious, my guess is Robust uses more stock commercial parts then Serious, making it less of a concern

Of course, of the two a Serious would weigh more

TTFN
Ralph

I have a 2436 and have no regrets of course. If you want service and a long lasting company, I think they would be #1. Bearings are tough as nails.

A friend of mine has the Serious lathe. While it might be custom in areas, it's rock solid as well. I think components in them are solid as well.

I didn't like the bedways on the robust (a bit thin). The other one there was the Stubby. I helped move them off the pallets. Those are monsters. Don't know about the components though.

Scott

Website
www.abhats.com
Seriously big lathes

I wasn't at the symposium either, but I've said on several other posts (concerning really heavy duty lates) that I can't quite understand anyone's concern about longevity of a company. All lathes are built with standard bearings (save perhaps the VB with sleeve ones) that can be bought at most any place selling them. The motors and controllers are all the same. What's different is the castings, dimensions, materials, etc. I don't have to go to Jet for a replacement belt, bearings, motor, controller (I've a variable) - or even tool rest for my mini! I seriously doubt the bed will ever split in two; the headstock fall off; or any other cast piece fail.

My large lathe is a Stubby, but I also respect the Robust and Serious (and any other one someone is attached to!). All are also made the same as my Jet Mini - I can get belt, bearings, motor, controller, and tool rests from many sources than my manufacturer/distributor.

Bottom line is that you've GOT to determine what your requirements and real needs are, and then pick the tool that best meets them. If you don't spend some time thinking this through, you'll regret it down the road.

I am primarily a furniture maker with a serious bad back. My uses have primarily been spindles for furniture, as well as some pens and small bowls. I have a Oneway 1018 with extension, but am curious about the larger lathes. Most of these are probably overkill for my needs, I am guessing something like the Powermatic would more than meet my needs long term, but you never know! I have known more than one furniture maker who has given it up and moved to turning as a primary pursuit.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
tilting tailstocks

For those of us with aging backs

New for me at the symposium was the Vicmarc swinging tailstock.
It is similar to the Swinging extension Oneway came out with last year.

Robust has the tilting tailstock It gets more out of the way that the swinger.
You still have to lift/pull to get it back up.

I put the swinger on my oneway last year and I really like it. it is a one finger effort to pivot it away.

Happy Turning,
Al

tailstock swinger

I'm with Al. I got the swinger when it first came out and it has done more for my back than anything else I have tried. The only time I have to remove the tailstock now is if I'm using my captured hollowing rig. Tilting is ok, but you still have to lift it back up.

I can see where the new Oneway will really help a growing segment of turners (baby boomers turning into ole farts). However I still think the 2436 is the one tool I have bought that I can't look back at and say something else might have been a better choice.

Vernon

Not quite an old fart yet, at least I hope not!

Unfortunately,
I have been suffering these chronic pain and back problems for 7 years as a result of a serious knee injury in my youth. I just turned 48, love woodworking, can't work for a living anymore because of my back, and desperately trying to do the thing I love in some way that brings me some relief and a sense of contribution. Need to be able to create something that will be here after I am gone.

I am not adverse to using lifts and pullies to help with the weight of the turned wood, tailstock, etc. to minimize the impact on the back. Maybe the new Oneway or a Stubby would be easier for me to use over the long term, as this is a degenerative problem that won't get better, barring some medical miracle.

Back