• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Ants

I was roughing out a piece of old Cherry burl this morning, the outside of which was extremely punky. While removing the punky section I stopped the lathe to check progress and there were many angry ants coming out of the burl. I sprayed them with an insecticide to kill them. What measures do peolple take to fumagate their turning stock before bringing into the workshop. While I like the look of wormholes and such, I don't think I want live Carpenter Ants, Termites or any other wood devouring insects in my shop or house.

Paul,

I've heard of people proposing some pretty extreme measures, from roasting above 180*, to vacuum chambers and CO2 gas, to any of a number of highly toxic chemicals to rid a workpiece of an infestation.

I don't much mind cherry worms (juicy on the face shield) but ants, powderposts, termites, bees, and such immediately render that piece of wood to the burnpit. In my view, there's no piece of wood worth the time or expense of any kind of insect-killing effort.

There's lots of good wood around; find another piece. The stuff grows on trees, you know! :D :D

If you bought it with the bugs, return it and get your money back!

MM

Last edited:

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Freezer

I have read - somewhere on one these forums that wrapping the wood in plastic and placing it in the freezer evernight kills just about anything. Just don't tell the wife. :D

Freezer works. If it's too big, put it in a garbage bag with some dry ice and tie tight. The CO2 from the dry ice will poison pretty much anything and will not hurt you when you open the bag.

Hint:If the bag doesn't swell up a bit, it's not airtight enough.

Dietrich

Ant mortality in cold environments depends on the species. Generally speaking, no species survives a seven day exposure to -4 degrees centigrade (that's about 28 degrees Fahrenheit) but that would mean getting the core of your wood to that temperature for that length of time. I would never recommend using insecticides because their going to contaminate your material and end up in the finished product or send contaminated fragments all about the shop.
Like Mark and Ken, I vote for dumping the stuff and getting a piece of wood to work on that isn't full of insects.
With respect to "dry ice" (CO2), it doesn't poison the insects. CO2 simply displaces oxygen and, while in the oxygen displacement process can asphyxiate living creatures, CO2 is not a poison. But unless you know how to handle "dry ice" in unconventional ways I'd recommend staying away from it because it can be dangerous if used improperly.

Last edited:

John Van Domelen

Retired Forum Admin
Ants...

Normally, 95% of the time I would agree with you guys on using 'bug free' wood.

I still think it useful to know how to 'debug' wood for the following cases where: 1) the wood is rare/expensive and/or 2) perfect for the intended work and/or 3) where shipping it back may not be feasible due to cost.

I have had more problems with those big fat carpenter bees than anything else - I store much of stock on my back covered patio to dry and have to fend off these SOBees all the time.

-- John

jovan said:
Normally, 95% of the time I would agree with you guys on using 'bug free' wood.

I still think it useful to know how to 'debug' wood for the following cases where: 1) the wood is rare/expensive and/or 2) perfect for the intended work and/or 3) where shipping it back may not be feasible due to cost.

John,

I'm going to guess that it's a violation of any number of State and Federal statutes to ship infested wood into or around this country. Returning it to a vendor is not a viable option, regardless of the cost. The Asian Longhorn beetle and Emerald Ash Borer invasions were caused by infested wood being brought into this country, and government is very touchy about the such things. When advised of such an issue, a reputable wood-guy will immediately replace the piece at no charge or refund your money, and should ask you to burn the piece. If he doesn't, let him know you'll be contacting the authorities, and then do so. What may look like a common native "bug" to you may actually be some new virulent pest from Outer Slobovia that you need to help destroy.

mm

Being ants, they'll leave for more suitable quarters after you section the piece. They've got better to do than stay where they and their offspring are endangered. Grubs are another matter. Much less mobile, and they're often walled in at both ends of their tunnels anyway. Makes various forms of short-duration poisoning worthless as well.

If the burl looks good, cut into pieces, put above dirt and cover with a tarp. Then try to find any ants after a couple of days. Betting you don't.

If you're into the death penalty, bag your wood with some napthalene - moth balls or the big mints they put in the bottom of urinals will do, and leave it a week. Warm will help disperse the fumes if you want to add more. The fumes will be diluted when you allow access to open air, and will leave no trace other than bug corpses in your project.

Store your precious stuff over borax to keep them at bay.

Everyone has a favorite way of getting rid of critters in the wood. Living in the steany South, termites and such are almost a given in anything that touches the ground more than a few minutes. Freezer method works pretty good if you have enough freezer room but I have another method that seems to work.

I put mine in plastic trash cans or huge heavy duty garbage bags (also have made some with plastice sheeting and duct tape). I use piece of large hose connected to the exhaust of my tractor to fill the cans/bags with carbon monoxide. I usually refill several times but I never see any bugs when I turn. Of course it is important to do this all outside so you personally join the bugs.

nuturner said:
With respect to "dry ice" (CO2), it doesn't poison the insects. CO2 simply displaces oxygen and, while in the oxygen displacement process can asphyxiate living creatures, CO2 is not a poison. But unless you know how to handle "dry ice" in unconventional ways I'd recommend staying away from it because it can be dangerous if used improperly.

Actually, the CO2 does poison the insects. Once CO2 concentration goes above a certain percentage (about 12% for humans, I think), the exchange system in our blood (hemoglobin) can no longer release it's bound CO2, regardless of oxygen concentration. We don't asphyxiate from lower O2, we are poisoned by the CO2 preventing O2 uptake. Thus, if you can get that CO2% up fairly high, it will kill off pretty much anything by preventing oxygen exchange.

Not sure of the dangers you are talking about short of leaving the dry ice in a small, enclosed space then hanging out there for a while(CO2 is pretty heavy and would have to build up over time to be dangerous), or sitting it in your lap for the drive home (ouch). Would be interested to know of other risks I'm not aware of.

dietrich

C02 narcosis

As pointed out above, CO2 is toxic in and of itself, not simply by oxygen displacement. Death resulting from CO2 narcosis can occur in healthy humans at levels as low as 6-7% CO2. The young, old and those with pulmonary and metabolic disorders are even more susceptible.

Here's a good solution. He's out trying to get his honey to appreciate his virility pretty much the same time every year.

Attachments

• Love-Bird.jpg
    Love-Bird.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 7
Great shot MM. The best picture I've been able to get so far was through my kitchen window. These guys are really shy. He was gone before I could snap another.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
robert davis said:
i embalmed three large ants and they are a permanent part of the inside of the cherry natural edge bowl

Sounds interesting......got a pic of that?

.....odie

He a she?

From the picture, this looks like a female. The male sports the same top, but has an additional red bar that some call a mustache. To me that extra bar is even to below the bill, so I wouldn't call it a mustache.

Of course, with a photo and regional variation, it can be hard to tell. I have been wrong before.

The following link shows a male/female pair that shows the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dryocopus_pileatusAAP063CA.jpg

A small colony lives in the woods behind my house, and they are one of my favorite birds.

Hadn't noticed the extra flash either on this early arrival with the larger comb or the other smaller-crested bird s/he hangs out with. This was more a food than a noise mission. When s/he gets on top of the yard light pole anf raps, the thing resonates forever.

First snakes yesterday! spring has sprung.

Ours always preferred the rain cover on the chimney at dawn...what a way to start your Saturday! Since the pair of Red-Shouldered Hawks built a nest about 30ft behind the house last spring the woodpeckers have left our house alone for some reason....

Anything loaded with ants just hits the burn pile - but anything crawling with small stuff goes into the DNA bucket after roughing - that seems to pickle them well.

Back