• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Another Log Loader

After seeing Mike Peace’s YouTube video of a log loader several years ago, I’ve been toying with the idea of a variation that would let me load log sections still bigger, and too big even to lift with the advantage of leverage. I came up with this design, inspired in part by my memory of a Pioneering Merit Badge requirement (only about 50+ years ago), and taking advantage of Mike’s idea of building a hinged joint into it. The pictures are probably self-explanatory, but the hinge allows it to go from inclined to level once the log reaches the level of the car or truck bed, and the legs are mortised into the ramp so they are easily removable for transport. The rope is secured around the front passenger seat of the car with straps of flat nylon to spread the weight. Rope would work equally well. Then it’s just a matter of routing the rope around the log and tying it off to the top of the ramp. It works equally well to unload the log with a controlled descent down the ramp. One improvement I’ll add is a cleat on the side to secure the rope if you want to pause the load mid-travel. The log I’m working with here is red maple, 16” long by 22” in diameter. A bit too big for me to lift without risking my back.
Edit: I neglected to mention that a good pulley at the top is critical to the design.
71E8119A-D57A-4694-82CB-17397DDC87AD.jpegC99CC4B9-DB81-4868-AFE6-94040F4E1A40.jpeg0FC89204-4566-40C5-A9CF-3AC570803BE4.jpeg099D3BFC-0B93-4D3D-96D3-382AEE7E5FDB.jpeg559D1688-164C-448C-9AC0-CAB2A9A8C48A.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow! That’s a lovely load of cherry Rusty! I also just came into a load of cherry, though not as much as yours. The utility took down a neighborhood tree that was threatening power lines. I got 21 bowl blanks out of what I brought home. Full disclosure though: I discovered a weakness in my log loader. The hinged joint hinges should likely be through bolted rather than screwed on, and use the heaviest duty hinges you can get. I had a 24” piece of cherry bend the hinges and pull out the screws. On to version 2.0!D9D09980-16BA-40F0-AE47-2CF8BFE2140D.jpeg

That's a nice load Rusty! Based on previous personal experience, I'd suggest you cut an inch or two slice containing the pith out of each log ASAP, to minimize cracking. Looks like there might some ring shake in some of the logs. Those sections would be good candidates for spindle blanks to still get some useful pieces from them. Just my $0.02.

That's a nice load Rusty! Based on previous personal experience, I'd suggest you cut an inch or two slice containing the pith out of each log ASAP, to minimize cracking. Looks like there might some ring shake in some of the logs. Those sections would be good candidates for spindle blanks to still get some useful pieces from them. Just my $0.02.
I did that the next day and waxed the ends. I already have around 10 or 12 rough turned and drying. Going to rough turn some more soon.65697A2C-CA42-4282-BBA2-1A0EB728E6AD.jpeg

When I used to find some jumbo free wood on Craigslist I would pull my trailer and bring a floor jack. Roll the stumps over to the trailer, flip or get them on the floor jack and jack it up to the height of the trailer and slide them in. Some of these were 300lbs each or more. It worked well. I have a log arch trailer now so I prefer to get the entire log intact if I can back up to it.
I hate to think of the outcome for the driver of the SUV with a head on collision or even 20mph fender bender on the way home. Most don't have any way to strap something down to secure it.

Bradford pear, pecan, oak. There is about 4x the bradford pear shown. Saddle up and come get all you want, on the house....located in Deliverance, about 15 miles south of Jesup Georgia. I have a logging tong on my front-loader to load. Some are pushing 200-300 lbs.trailer 1.JPGlogs.JPGm-b blanks.JPG

Usually, I will load up my tractor for big logs. I load them on my trailer, unload at home or shop, (chain or strap logs to stationary object and pull trailer away) then go back for the tractor.

IMG_0002.JPG

A recent burl I picked up from the roadside was a bit more distant. I thought there's no way this burl is too large to move myself, so I took my Prius and trailer. It was heavier than I thought, but I managed to winch it onto the trailer.

IMG_20230112_143736903_HDR.jpg

Almost can't believe you got a Prius to haul a trailer :p .

I cut grass at a few different nearby locations. The bed of my Ram is REALLY high to drive a walk-behind up a ramp, (steep and scary) so I bought this cheap mesh trailer for behind my Prius. It's been really handy for a number of things. As well as moving my mower, I took a motorcycle on vacation, picked up 2 empty IBC totes (for firewood) and now a giant burl.

I have always relied on brute force to load lumber. I just turned 70yr and i must say the loading ramp looks like something i will be making in the near future.
Old age sucks!

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
Arthur, I just built one this past spring. Works. great! the only modification I made was to add a second "slot" for the removable board. One slot is the height of the tailgate on my buddy's truck. The other is a little lower and is the height of hatchback of our Subaru station wagon. The second lower level is also just a tad higher than my sawbuck. So I can also use it to load logs onto that for cutting. The only problem I have had using it is the wife tends to grumble about the dirt & debris when I load a couple log sections into the back of her car!!

Here’s the latest iteration of my log loader. I’ve beefed up the hinged joint with heavier hinges and longer screws. Just finished loading six pieces of a freshly-cut beech tree. Largest pieces are 15 1/2” diameter by 17” long. A bit too big for me to lift without suffering the consequences, but this loader made it a breeze. It works equally well in reverse for letting them gently down to ground level. At the end of the video you’ll see that it can slip backwards a bit as the log gets to the top. I’ve subsequently cured that by tying the ramp to the truck bed.
View: https://youtu.be/6LMDRQLPO80?feature=shared

Back