• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

ancient lidded boxes

Max Taylor

In Memoriam
Just watched a video with Jimmy Clewes. He went to an excavation that was a` thousand year old bldg. They set up a` museum of wood turned artifacts. It showed a small lidded box that was basically just as we make them today. How they cut those sharp inside corners for the lip with the tools they had back then, I will never know. Very interesting. Max

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Probably with a point scrapper, but no one appears certain.

No one I know, actually knows what type of tools Roman era turners used, if any tools survived, there as been no papers (in English) that have identified them as turning tools.

Most of the guesses are that it was scrapers and hook chisels.

And yes I've talked to real experts on this issue, not posers on the Net (helps knowing people with PHDs in Roman studies and people that are experts at early wood working technics)

---EDIT---
Looks like there was a good book published this year Roman Woodworking by Roger B. Ulrich
On page 30 there is a photo of 5 gouges, that are either heavy carving gouges or lathe gouges
There is also a period depiction of a Roman Bow lathe on page 40
There is a discussion of the boxwood boxes on page 245

Looks like I have a new book to buy

Last edited:
ancient tools

i went to a demostration by Gary Gardner and one tidbit of knowledge i acquired was that all you need to cut wood is less than 90 degree edge tool, that is 89 degrees or less:D

some angles cut and shere better than others

Back