• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

American Beauty or Powermatic 4224B

Good day everyone! There have been many posts regarding the Robust AB vs the Powermatic 3520 series but I haven’t seen much on the 4224. Can anyone share their thoughts comparing these two? Well loaded the 4224 comes in a little over 3k less than the AB. Thanks all!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If you want to turn really big stuff get the ONEWAY 2436.
Of the 3 lathes the ONEWAY has the best banjo, the Robust has the 2nd best banjo.
The robust has the smoothest turning tailstock handwheel on any lathe.

The robust tilt away is an engineering marvel
The ONEWAY swing away gets the tailstock out of the way no lifting.
Powermatic swing away uses a 45 degree hinge so you have to lift the tailstock to put it back. You get some mechanical advantage but it’s too much lifting for a bad back.

ONEWAY indexer is the easiest to use.

I like the ONEWAY controls on a swinging pendant and a second magnetic based remote switch. When hollowing I want switches at both ends.
Robust has the smallest footprint and it’s a really nice machine.
ONEWAY has outboard turning options suited for large work.

Another option is the ONEWAY 1624. A terrific bowl lathe with the 17” outboard.

Last edited:
I have 10 lathes in my shop, all have one thing in common they are all cast iron. I have never turned on a American Beauty but have turned on enough Oneway lathes to know I do not like steel bedded lathes, they make me feel like I'm singing (vibrating). I'm certain that AB's are great lathes but they are not for me. If I didn't already have a 3520b I would have the 4224B. My best advice find someone who has either and try them out (you can buy a lot of toys with that extra 3 grand :) ).

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I seriously love not having to deal with rusting ways, don't know if stainless is an option on lathes other than the AB. I forgot to sweep some green oak shavings off a Oneway I was using at a school over the lunch break and then had to spend 20 minutes scrubbing the bloom of rust off the bed.

I've never experienced any unpleasant vibration with the AB (or pretty much any vibration after I lagged it into the concrete floor!). The clamping mechanism on the AB to hold to tool rest is remarkably secure, but can be a pain to change the rest when the cams get out of alignment; that's pretty much my only complaint about the machine.

I certainly would (and did) choose to buy a US/Canada made machine, even if it's more expensive.

I don’t think there is a wrong decision on Robust, OneWay, or Powermatic. I went with the Robust. Key features were the stainless steel ways, swing away tailstock, sliding headstock, motor, and warranty. Like Roger I have never experienced any vibration because of the stainless ways and would never go back to cast iron ways, and my lathe is not bolted down. I turn on a 4224 at our club and it is a nice lathe. I have never turned on a OneWay, but have several accessories from OneWay, all first class. It really comes down to what lathe best fits your desired features. Robust has a 7 year warranty and Brent fully stands behind his lathes.

Just thinking out loud....There have been times when I have intentionally mountedn the biggest blank I could on my 3520. Mostly those blanks got cored. Now I have stacks of very large blanks and bowl sets dried and sitting on the floor, and I have no idea what if anything I'm going to do with them. I have a really nice, large finished platter that no one in the family wants. Who needs or wants a 17" bowl???? Reed and others have many times mentioned that bowls over 14" don't sell. How many people actually use their 20-24" throw? Is the 4224 really a better (i.e. more useful) lathe than a 3520, or any other 18-20" lathe? Or even the Robust Sweet 16 or Oneway 1624?

For me, I've tried out turning 'big' stuff and realized that it's not something I'll be doing in the future. I bet there are lots of others on the forum who have had a similar experience. Maybe our advice to Ken should be, "Think real hard about whether you really need such a large lathe."

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Good day everyone! There have been many posts regarding the Robust AB vs the Powermatic 3520 series but I haven’t seen much on the 4224. Can anyone share their thoughts comparing these two? Well loaded the 4224 comes in a little over 3k less than the AB. Thanks all!
. If you get interested in the Robust, Don Geiger is Robust’s Florida dealer and can help with lots of suggestions.
Brent has this great network of dealers. Then you have Don and Brent.

How many people actually use their 20-24" throw? Is the 4224 really a better (i.e. more useful) lathe than a 3520,
Where I’ve been needing the swing is for multi axis turnings.
Take an 7x9x18 spindle turn it sideways and the 2 extra inches are appreciated.
A ladle handle’s length is limited by the lathe swing. 2” longer on the 24.

I don’t think there is a wrong decision on Robust, OneWay, or Powermatic. I went with the Robust. Key features were the stainless steel ways, swing away tailstock, sliding headstock, motor, and warranty. Like Roger I have never experienced any vibration because of the stainless ways and would never go back to cast iron ways, and my lathe is not bolted down. I turn on a 4224 at our club and it is a nice lathe. I have never turned on a OneWay, but have several accessories from OneWay, all first class. It really comes down to what lathe best fits your desired features. Robust has a 7 year warranty and Brent fully stands behind his lathes.

. If you get interested in the Robust, Don Geiger is Robust’s Florida dealer and can help with lots of suggestions.
Brent has this great network of dealers. Then you have Don and Brent.

Where I’ve been needing the swing is for multi axis turnings.
Take an 7x9x18 spindle turn it sideways and the 2 extra inches are appreciated.
A ladle handle’s length is limited by the lathe swing. 2” longer on the 24.

Thanks! I have spoken to Don as well as other owners and distributors. That’s really where I’m at and why I put the question out there because all anyone (owners and distributors) really refer to are the basics that I can certainly compare with the two. I guess what I’m looking for is someone to really say… this lathe is soooooo much better than this one because of……. Perhaps what I’m looking for is non existent because they really are not that far apart.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Powermatic and Robust are very far apart. The Robust customer service doesn't even compare to Powermatic, I have dealt with both companies and Brent will beat Powermatic anyday. Talked with him in person also and he is very kind and loves what he does. Also American made is upmost important to me, so I chose Robust. Have had my Sweet 16 for almost 2 years and have had zero problems. The stainless bed is also extremely convenient, I just turned a soaking wet walnut platter the other day and had no rust to deal with. Can't say that about anything else out there. In the end it is your choice, because the cost of a Robust is definitely a drawback, but you will never regret it....

Well, the differences between the PM and Robust are mostly the made in the USA vs made in China, and stainless steel vs cast iron. You will get far better customer service from Robust than you will from PM. As for stainless vs cast iron, as near as I can tell, they just make different noises. There are no vibration issues with either. I have one of the first Robust ABs that were made, and it has 3 speed ranges, and with Brent's help, I reset the speeds so I could sand out my warped bowls, which means slow speed on low speed range is about 15 rpm. The old PM 3520A did that as well. I do have the long bed AB, just in case I needed to turn long. I have little experience with long bed lathes, which in this case would mean the Oneway lathes. I have spent 95% of my bowl turning on sliding headstock lathes. Bed vibration is not an issue. Pressure plate size is an issue, and if the headstock has the same pressure plate on it that is on the banjo and tailstock, don't get that lathe!. If I was to get a long bed lathe, I would go for the Vicmark 300. Two reasons, one is the speed range goes almost down to 0 at the slowest, and 2 is the headstock design which has the spindle mounting point right on the headstock tower, and no bell housings or extensions which make your mounting point farther away from the headstock tower. This makes for more vibration, unless the tailstock is engaged, than it is a non issue. There are a number of reasons why turners like Mike Mahoney, Stuart Batty, and Glenn Lucas use the Vicmark lathes. I prefer the Vicmark 240 which has a headstock that pivots to 30 degrees so I can stand straight up and hold my tools in close to my body, rather than the extended arms or bending over, which you have to do on a long bed lathe.

robo hippy

I have 10 lathes in my shop, all have one thing in common they are all cast iron. I have never turned on a American Beauty but have turned on enough Oneway lathes to know I do not like steel bedded lathes, they make me feel like I'm singing (vibrating). I'm certain that AB's are great lathes but they are not for me. If I didn't already have a 3520b I would have the 4224B. My best advice find someone who has either and try them out (you can buy a lot of toys with that extra 3 grand :) ).

I turned on a Sweet 16 for 3 days at David Ellsworth's studio a couple months ago, and has no vibration issues with that machine. even with some large, very wet/unbalanced pieces. The AB is a good 200+ lbs heavier, so I wouldn't expect any issues there either.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
Thanks! I have spoken to Don as well as other owners and distributors. That’s really where I’m at and why I put the question out there because all anyone (owners and distributors) really refer to are the basics that I can certainly compare with the two. I guess what I’m looking for is someone to really say… this lathe is soooooo much better than this one because of

If you have the money. Get the Robust AB or the big ONEWAY. The Powermatic is 3rd place among the 3 in any category you pick.

If money is limited. Get the Powermatic 3420 and spend the savings on quality classes.
You’ll be happier with your results even if you don’t have the best lathe you’ll have better turnings and more satisfaction in your work.

You can make crappy work on an AB.
You can make world class work on a powermatic.
Skill and drive are the difference.

If you have the money. Get the Robust AB or the big ONEWAY. The Powermatic is 3rd place among the 3 in any category you pick.

If money is limited. Get the Powermatic 3420 and spend the savings on quality classes.
You’ll be happier with your results even if you don’t have the best lathe you’ll have better turnings and more satisfaction in your work.

Thanks but I do not have interest in the Oneway. Also I’m looking for people that want to share any insight on the 4224 not the 3520.

I have a 3420c and have never turned on a one way or AB, but I can tell you one hidden difference that makes the one way stand out. PM and AB both use deep groove bearings, while one way uses angular contact bearings.

angular contact bearings, also known as spindle bearings, are more rigid and precise, and can handle much more sideways pressure from the tailstock. These are bearings designed for precision machinery and sideways loads. Deep groove are designed for shafts and motors. I can’t understand why many manufacturers use deep groove bearings. The cost difference is minimal.

I changed the bearings on my Laguna from deep groove to angular contact, and there was a noticeable difference. Smoother, quieter, and less vibration when cutting. Some of what I thought was the wood vibrating was actually the bearings. At some point soon I will be changing the bearings in my 3420c

First of all there are two 4224 Powermatic lathes. Older ones have a fixed headstock newer ones have a sliding headstock.
I have the privilege to turn on the fixed headstock 4224 and the American Beauty.
The fixed headstock 4224 is a beast solid heavy and stable everything I would want in a lathe. The variable speed is is not as precise as the AB but this only matters when chasing threads.
The AB is simply the most user friendly lathe on the planet. Donna Banfield and others have talked about this on this forum.
The new 4224’s have a sliding headstock and I haven’t turned on one. If I were in the position where I could buy either of these two lathes. I would buy the AB long bed with the assisted swing away and a 3 horsepower motor. But if someone wants to give me one. I would except either

I just upgraded from a 4224 to an American Beauty this summer. I wish I had done it a long time ago.

My 4224 had a lot of different problems. The biggest issue was the motor. I was new and had nothing to compare it to, so after struggling with it (stalling, bogging down) for years. Sometimes it wouldn't reset and I call Powermatic and they suggested it was poor technique, overly aggressive cuts, wrong belt position, poor tools or sharpening, etc. It was never their product, it was somehow my fault. I finally learned those times were usually the poor design for the switches and accumulated dust inside would disable one of them.

I attended my first symposium in St Paul and was shocked to see the deep cuts demonstrators were taking. It was clear there was something off. The lack of power was still an issue and now their technicians suggested things like checking that I had the proper breaker and wiring and voltage, (I did) checking all connections on the VFD, motor, and plug, (I did) then replacing all the wiring between plug, motor, and VFD. (which I also did) They claimed they had a bad batch of wiring that had caused some issues for others.

The same issues continued until one day, the spindle stopped, but I could still hear the motor running. The pulley was off the motor and I though maybe a set screw had come out. After raking thru the dust and shavings inside and under the lathe, I realized the motor shaft had just sheared off. I was out of warranty and they wanted just over $1000 for a new motor and pulley. I bought a used metal lathe and made a hub/adapter to put the pulley back on the stub instead.

Along the way, there were other issues. Bearings got noisy so I found the size and ordered a set of better quality. The speed control rheostat failed, the reverse switch failed. One of the feet bent and broke, so I made new ones. Adding a shelf and weight helped keep it from dancing around. At some point, the frustration hit a breaking point. I removed the motor and took it to a local motor shop. The guy laughed when I said it was 3hp. He said there was no way a 6 amp motor would make 3hp. He told me to pull out the VFD and check the label. Sure enough 2hp maximum output.

I bought a 3hp Baldor motor on eBay and modified the mounting for it. I bought a cheap 3hp VFD on Amazon and it was a transformed machine. Replacing the cheap plastic switches with simple light switches has cured the occasional dust shutdown issue.
If I were keeping it, I'd probably look into having the ways ground flat and upgrading the banjo (One-Way or Robust) As it turned out the used American Beauty deal just 4 hours away was too tempting.
My old Problematic is loaded on my truck to deliver tomorrow; a donation to a local charity that has set up a woodworking shop in town. I wouldn't buy a Powermatic anything. They treated me like shit and NEVER admitted to anything or made any adjustment for an undersized motor and a defective shaft in the motor. (it never should have broken off ever) Maybe their products are better now, but I would guess there's not the quality control that this kind of investment deserves. Yea, I got a lemon, a giant ugly mustard yellow lemon and I'm telling anyone who will listen DON"T BUY A PROBLEMATIC.

A Robust is made here in the US, by people who take pride in their work. It shows. It's a work of art with perfect welds and finish. Stainless steel ways. A banjo that doesn't arm wrestle with me is a joy to use.

PXL_20231119_213135061.jpg

12 years ago I was making the same decision - Powermatic 4224 or Robust AB. the Powermatic 4224 was newly redesigned and would be at the AAW symposium at San Jose. I’d already spent several months and many miles getting time on the lathes I was considering - Robust, OneWay, Powermatic, Vicmark and a VB 36. I’d already eliminated everything except the Robust AB (arrangements made with Brent to pick it up at the symposium) when I heard about the new 4224.
My test drives had convinced me that I’d made the right decision, and, once I could see them side by side and actually price them out with the same options/capabilities the price difference was not that great at the time. In reality, it’s difficult to compare the two since they’re very different pieces of equipment.
As I said - it’s been 12 years since then and, while I may have spent a little more on the Robust, it continues to serve me well. It’s 5 years out of warranty, and everything still functions as it did when I brought it home. It’s seen continuous use and on those occasions when I’ve had a question I’ve always had an answer within hours - not days.
I’ll be hitting 75 in a couple months, and the tilt-away is a godsend for my back, as is the sliding headstock. The massive Leeson 3hp motor powers through coring easily. Can I stall it? Sure, but the size of shavings coming off a roughing cut is amazing at times. The stainless ways have accumulated a few scratches over the years without a hint of rust. Just the other day I found the quill was getting stiff trying to retract it all the way (after drilling with a fairly large Forster bit). I pulled it apart and cleaned it thoroughly, but found it didn’t help. An email to Brent and he recommended checking for a burr on the indexing slot (He also attached a new article on lathe maintenance). I had thought of a burr, but couldn’t feel one…a few minutes with a file and it’s back to working like new. Lesson - never second guess a machinist.
After reading Darryl’s post above about his experience with a 4224, I’m very glad that I didn’t jump at the chance to save a couple of bucks 12 years ago.

I guess I should have been more clearer. I have worked with cast iron machinery for 80% of my life. I'm not saying that AB or Oneway vibrate. Its what I feel when turning on the steel bed lathes, I feel that my body is singing (vibrating), never said the lathe was vibrating. I prefer the feel of cast iron, that's all. I didn't mention the difference between having to talk to Powermatic or the others because I have never had problem one with any of my three lathes from that company, they have been problem free for almost 20 years. I know better than to join in these conversations because turners always think what they have is better because they have it. I'm that way only about two pieces of equipment I own and they are my Baxter Thread Masters.:) All the rest of my equipment does the job assigned.

Thanks but I do not have interest in the Oneway. Also I’m looking for people that want to share any insight on the 4224 not the 3520
First of all there are two 4224 Powermatic lathes. Older ones have a fixed headstock newer ones have a sliding headstock.
I have the privilege to turn on the fixed headstock 4224 and the American Beauty.
The fixed headstock 4224 is a beast solid heavy and stable everything I would want in a lathe. The variable speed is is not as precise as the AB but this only matters when chasing threads.
The AB is simply the most user friendly lathe on the planet. Donna Banfield and others have talked about this on this forum.
The new 4224’s have a sliding headstock and I haven’t turned on one. If I were in the position where I could buy either of these two lathes. I would buy the AB long bed with the assisted swing away and a 3 horsepower motor. But if someone wants to give me one. I would except either

Thanks Timothy!

I just upgraded from a 4224 to an American Beauty this summer. I wish I had done it a long time ago.

My 4224 had a lot of different problems. The biggest issue was the motor. I was new and had nothing to compare it to, so after struggling with it (stalling, bogging down) for years. Sometimes it wouldn't reset and I call Powermatic and they suggested it was poor technique, overly aggressive cuts, wrong belt position, poor tools or sharpening, etc. It was never their product, it was somehow my fault. I finally learned those times were usually the poor design for the switches and accumulated dust inside would disable one of them.

I attended my first symposium in St Paul and was shocked to see the deep cuts demonstrators were taking. It was clear there was something off. The lack of power was still an issue and now their technicians suggested things like checking that I had the proper breaker and wiring and voltage, (I did) checking all connections on the VFD, motor, and plug, (I did) then replacing all the wiring between plug, motor, and VFD. (which I also did) They claimed they had a bad batch of wiring that had caused some issues for others.

The same issues continued until one day, the spindle stopped, but I could still hear the motor running. The pulley was off the motor and I though maybe a set screw had come out. After raking thru the dust and shavings inside and under the lathe, I realized the motor shaft had just sheared off. I was out of warranty and they wanted just over $1000 for a new motor and pulley. I bought a used metal lathe and made a hub/adapter to put the pulley back on the stub instead.

Along the way, there were other issues. Bearings got noisy so I found the size and ordered a set of better quality. The speed control rheostat failed, the reverse switch failed. One of the feet bent and broke, so I made new ones. Adding a shelf and weight helped keep it from dancing around. At some point, the frustration hit a breaking point. I removed the motor and took it to a local motor shop. The guy laughed when I said it was 3hp. He said there was no way a 6 amp motor would make 3hp. He told me to pull out the VFD and check the label. Sure enough 2hp maximum output.

I bought a 3hp Baldor motor on eBay and modified the mounting for it. I bought a cheap 3hp VFD on Amazon and it was a transformed machine. Replacing the cheap plastic switches with simple light switches has cured the occasional dust shutdown issue.
If I were keeping it, I'd probably look into having the ways ground flat and upgrading the banjo (One-Way or Robust) As it turned out the used American Beauty deal just 4 hours away was too tempting.
My old Problematic is loaded on my truck to deliver tomorrow; a donation to a local charity that has set up a woodworking shop in town. I wouldn't buy a Powermatic anything. They treated me like shit and NEVER admitted to anything or made any adjustment for an undersized motor and a defective shaft in the motor. (it never should have broken off ever) Maybe their products are better now, but I would guess there's not the quality control that this kind of investment deserves. Yea, I got a lemon, a giant ugly mustard yellow lemon and I'm telling anyone who will listen DON"T BUY A PROBLEMATIC.

A Robust is made here in the US, by people who take pride in their work. It shows. It's a work of art with perfect welds and finish. Stainless steel ways. A banjo that doesn't arm wrestle with me is a joy to use.

View attachment 57603
Darryl thank you very much for sharing. I really appreciate all of the info here.

12 years ago I was making the same decision - Powermatic 4224 or Robust AB. the Powermatic 4224 was newly redesigned and would be at the AAW symposium at San Jose. I’d already spent several months and many miles getting time on the lathes I was considering - Robust, OneWay, Powermatic, Vicmark and a VB 36. I’d already eliminated everything except the Robust AB (arrangements made with Brent to pick it up at the symposium) when I heard about the new 4224.
My test drives had convinced me that I’d made the right decision, and, once I could see them side by side and actually price them out with the same options/capabilities the price difference was not that great at the time. In reality, it’s difficult to compare the two since they’re very different pieces of equipment.
As I said - it’s been 12 years since then and, while I may have spent a little more on the Robust, it continues to serve me well. It’s 5 years out of warranty, and everything still functions as it did when I brought it home. It’s seen continuous use and on those occasions when I’ve had a question I’ve always had an answer within hours - not days.
I’ll be hitting 75 in a couple months, and the tilt-away is a godsend for my back, as is the sliding headstock. The massive Leeson 3hp motor powers through coring easily. Can I stall it? Sure, but the size of shavings coming off a roughing cut is amazing at times. The stainless ways have accumulated a few scratches over the years without a hint of rust. Just the other day I found the quill was getting stiff trying to retract it all the way (after drilling with a fairly large Forster bit). I pulled it apart and cleaned it thoroughly, but found it didn’t help. An email to Brent and he recommended checking for a burr on the indexing slot (He also attached a new article on lathe maintenance). I had thought of a burr, but couldn’t feel one…a few minutes with a file and it’s back to working like new. Lesson - never second guess a machinist.
After reading Darryl’s post above about his experience with a 4224, I’m very glad that I didn’t jump at the chance to save a couple of bucks 12 years ago.
Thank you Jeff appreciate you sharing!

I guess I should have been more clearer. I have worked with cast iron machinery for 80% of my life. I'm not saying that AB or Oneway vibrate. It’s what I feel when turning on the steel bed lathes, I feel that my body is singing (vibrating), never said the lathe was vibrating. I prefer the feel of cast iron, that's all. I didn't mention the difference between having to talk to Powermatic or the others because I have never had problem one with any of my three lathes from that company, they have been problem free for almost 20 years. I know better than to join in these conversations because turners always think what they have is better because they have it. I'm that way only about two pieces of equipment I own and they are my Baxter Thread Masters.:) All the rest of my equipment does the job assigned.
Thanks Bill I definitely agree with you. While many replies have been helpful, some just get a little off topic and defensive of things lol.

Website
www.riccsdesigns.com
Thanks! I have spoken to Don as well as other owners and distributors. That’s really where I’m at and why I put the question out there because all anyone (owners and distributors) really refer to are the basics that I can certainly compare with the two. I guess what I’m looking for is someone to really say… this lathe is soooooo much better than this one because of……. Perhaps what I’m looking for is non existent because they really are not that far apart.
Get a hold of Rudy Lopez north of Tampa. He has both in his shop. (well at least he had them both when I took a class from him a couple years ago.) https://rudolphlopez.com/

One consideration, is how often are you going to use and/or need the 24 inch swing? I sell daily use items. and once I did turn a 22 inch diameter bowl. It never sold and I ended up giving it to a nephew. If you want to turn architectural pieces, then that extra swing can come in handy. As for 3 hp vs 2 hp, with 3 speed ranges, it is not an improvement. In the words of the late great Bill Grumbine, "I haven't turned on a lathe yet that I can't stall." Me too. Of the 2 lathes you are considering, I would go for the AB. Made in the USA....

robo hippy

About 30 years ago, many North American professional turners used General 260 lathes with riser blocks.
Along came Oneway and those turners switched to the 24-36 (some in the UK too).
Now those same professionals are using Robust lathes.
I can understand the switch to Oneway from General, as good a machine as the 260 was, but it would be interesting to hear from
a professional as to why he/she switched to Robust.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
@Graham Dolby Ha!, how true! Bought my General 260 in 1996 after my old lathe died. About a week later the Oneway went on the market and several of my respected woodturner friends bought one. I'm still with my General ... never had a problem with that lathe.

Website
www.ovwg.org
Thanks Bill I definitely agree with you. While many replies have been helpful, some just get a little off topic and defensive of things lol.
It sound like you aren't interested in the Robust? That's fine, but we are just giving you our opinions of the machines we have used. No need to feel like we are telling you what to do...:)

One consideration, is how often are you going to use and/or need the 24 inch swing? I sell daily use items. and once I did turn a 22 inch diameter bowl. It never sold and I ended up giving it to a nephew. If you want to turn architectural pieces, then that extra swing can come in handy. As for 3 hp vs 2 hp, with 3 speed ranges, it is not an improvement. In the words of the late great Bill Grumbine, "I haven't turned on a lathe yet that I can't stall." Me too. Of the 2 lathes you are considering, I would go for the AB. Made in the USA....

robo hippy

That extra swing is handy for all kinds of things. I got a really good deal on some Hummer H2 wheels, (somebody upgraded to something fancier) but even though the bolt pattern is the same as my truck, the center bore was just a little too small. I made some wood jaws to expand in the inside of the rim and carved away enough aluminum to get a good fit. I'm still using them 3 trucks later.

100_1331.JPG

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Having a big swing on the lathe eliminates the need to spend a lot of time fussily trimming blanks with a chain saw or worse, trying to chain saw a reference surface in the plane through a log that will give you the grain pattern you want in a bowl and then horse it on to a band saw to cut a circle. Mounting an asymmetric log between centers to start lets you better see how the grain develops and adjust the orientation. By the time you account for the possibility of getting the banjo underneath the blank it's not at all uncommon to want 20+ inches of swing to start to turn what will be a 12-14" salad bowl.
Granted, it's a luxury and there are many possible workarounds. As luxuries go, it sure beats a boat for amount of pleasure per dollar spent. ;)

When I got my Robust, I was considering 2 lathes. The Robust, and the old Nichols lathes. The Nichols lathes stopped manufacturing not long after the Oneway came out. I never considered the Oneway because I wanted a sliding headstock after turning on a 3520A for maybe 10 years. Can't remember any more.... The only pivoting headstock I knew of was the old Nova lathes before the DVR came out. I didn't like how that lathe pivoted, though the DVR does have a surprising amount of power for the size. Pivoting headstocks have come a long way since then....

robo hippy

For what it’s worth, I’ve been happily turning on a PM3520b for nearly 20yrs but that doesn’t stop me from regularly thinking if I don’t want to upgrade to a Robust AB. If I didn’t already have a 3520 (which is plenty of lathe for my abilities, and I like) I’d be looking hard to find the spare cash to get the AB…”cry once…”

Website
www.instagram.com
The Oneway is all steel, formed and welded. The Powermatics are all gray cast iron - headstock, tailstock, and all of the bed. The Robust is a hybrid. Robust headstock is gray cast iron, as is the banjo, with bed and ways of welded steels [several grades]. For generations, the optimum material for damping and chatter minimization in machine tools has been gray cast iron. So that's a Powermatic. Having been at Robust two weeks ago, and seen their design details, it's my opinion that their machine is close to the Powermatics regarding this characteristic - damping of vibration and resultant workpiece chatter.

Back