• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

ambrosia maple

Health problems

While I can't directly answer your questions, since there are many, many millions of people, someone, somewhere, will no doubt have problems with ambrosia maple. Protect your breathing, vision, and skin as appropriate. There is a company in Texas that sells a lotion that acts as a skin protectant but I don't have the name at hand. I found it using Google Search.:)

Supposedly the figure's from beetles, so beetle parts and their proteins might well be a problem. The darker heartwood color in soft maple comes from some pretty complicated phenyls and phenols which can irritate the mucous membranes.

Anything's possible, so if you're sensitive, protect yourself. While you're at it, avoid walnut oil, soy oil, solvents ... from fiber mask to full bubble as required.

Gernally abmbrosia maple is formed by the... you guessed it.. ambrosia beetle. It lays its eggs in the tree and puts a bit of fungus in the "nest" for food for the young. It is the fungus that attacks the wood not necessarily the beetle. If I remember correctly, and at this age that's a problem, the beelte is not a wood "eating" insect.

Back