• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Alternatives to Tilt Away Tailstock?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
For a friend I rigged a sliding barn door rail to the ceiling and pt a cheap rope and pulley deer hoist on it. She hooked the hoist to the tailstock put a little tension on it and then slid it across the room. Putting it back on was just as easy.

Okay, got a good chuckle from your comment John. That is efficiency for a frugal solution. I have seen a number of roll up carts that you slide the tailstock on to. Best tilt away solution is the one from Robust. Not affordable for every one.

robo hippy

I've seen someone use a utility cart that is rolled up to the end of the ways. A set of wooden ways matching the dimensions and height of the lathe was affixed to the top of the cart. The tail stock is slid onto the top of the cart (which has locking casters). The cart is then wheeled away.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Tom I have a steady rest that was home built by a machinist and weighs 87lbs. May have to rig up a hoist for that.

There are some shapes that I hollow standing where the swing-away tailstock would be in my way. My solution which is totally functional and economic was to build a small cart that doubled as a storage bin.
Although I repurposed some small casters, you can use a small $8 HFT dolly with a cut up polyethylene cutting board lathe bed top. Very economical and multifunctional.
ED6470F0-8C0D-468B-A47B-8927BBF067EB.jpeg
8EA68C20-F143-46B8-B36D-4EDB44682F12.jpeg

Last edited:
I like the cart idea. I am wondering how easy it is to build so that the bed extension (whether cutting board or plywood) lines up with the bed correctly. If the extension is a millimeter high or low the tailstock isn't going slide past the junction easily. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm wondering how people have dealt with the issue?

I like the cart idea. I am wondering how easy it is to build so that the bed extension (whether cutting board or plywood) lines up with the bed correctly. If the extension is a millimeter high or low the tailstock isn't going slide past the junction easily. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm wondering how people have dealt with the issue?
Recalling my process.
1. my lathe bed is level with the floor. This is important to note otherwise you'll have to compensate later.
2. During the last step of assembly, I used and ripped four (see 1st photo) 2x4s to make up the difference between the lathe's bed height from the floor and the cabinet's casters + frame + cutting board height. The customized 2x4 acts like a height shim. I actually ripped slightly oversize and trimmed it slightly a few times until everything was the right height. Then I secured the modified 2x4s to the top of the cabinet and finally the cutting board to the 2x4s.
3. I added a stick on the Auxilary cabinet that fits into the lathe bed to assist in guiding it into alignment.

In my setup sometimes the alignment is a little lower. When that happens, the heavy tailstock slides right onto the cabinet. When returning the tailstock I just tilt it up slightly until it aligns and I push it on.
Hope this helps.

Mike Peace showed a cart similar to Dennis Weiner's in a Youtube video a couple of years ago ... looked like a great solution to the problem.

I have Powermatic's swing-away on my 3520C ... it helps, but is nowhere near as functional as the Robust tilt-away with the gas-assist shocks.

I have a customer that needs to find a cheaper/easier alternative for removing the tailstock from a Powermatic 3520, so they can use my hollowing system. Any ideas?
I just heard Pat Carroll say that he's made a rolling table the height of the lathe bed. Roll it up to the end of the bed, and slide the tailstock on to it. I just noticed that Dennis suggested the same thing.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
For a really low-tech solution: Before I got my swing-away, I just had a stand for the tailstock. It was just 2x4s on plywood arranged so there was space for the clamping plate and the tailstock would sit flat oh the 2x4s. It sat on a table near the tailstock end of the lathe. I could slide the tailstock off the lathe, pivot around, and place it on the stand. It did require me holding the tailstock, and lowering/lifting it a few inches. But it was a whole lot better than bending over with that chunk of iron to set the thing on the floor or whatever.

I have the Powermatic swing away on my 3520b and have the bed extension in the lower position and the swing away clears the extension without a problem. Don't know about other swing aways but I love my swing away.

I like the rolling cart idea for the tailstock. I can handle mine ok though being a Jet it's not as heavy as a PM.

@john lucas I haven't weighed mine but I'm pretty sure yours takes the prize.
Mine is entirely made from 5/8" plate.

Attachments

• rest.jpg
    rest.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 8

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Yes mine is 5/8 steel and has 8 wheels. I have only use 4 wheels and only used it once. I use my wooden steady most of the time. Not any where near as solid but probably only weighs 5lbs.

Website
www.lylejamieson.com
Okay, got a good chuckle from your comment John. That is efficiency for a frugal solution. I have seen a number of roll up carts that you slide the tailstock on to. Best tilt away solution is the one from Robust. Not affordable for every one.

robo hippy
Hi Reed, agree with the Robust comment but I am looking for a cheaper solution for this customer.

Website
www.lylejamieson.com
There are some shapes that I hollow standing where the swing-away tailstock would be in my way. My solution which is totally functional and economic was to build a small cart that doubled as a storage bin.
Although I repurposed some small casters, you can use a small $8 HFT dolly with a cut up polyethylene cutting board lathe bed top. Very economical and multifunctional.
View attachment 46797
View attachment 46798
Hi Dennis, Thanks for the photos, I passed them on to my customer...I think it will work

Back