• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Chad Eames for "Twisted Walnut Vessel"being selected as Turning of the Week for September 2, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

All Set Up For My Second Show

Just finished setting up for my second show, two days, indoor, and most importantly air conditioningšŸ˜! I usually sell from home and have one galley I sell in. My first show was last December and it was a great success, not sure how this one will go since Christmas presents will probably not be purchased.
I still need to set up some bowl stands but can do that in the morning. This show had a lot of advertising and they expect a larger crowd. I have extra bowls stored under the table just in casešŸ˜‰. This is more of a craft and artisan show and I will be the only bowl turner but several cheese board type vendors.
I know many of you have a lot more experience selling at shows and I need to work on my display some so any pointers would be great!
1722026784301.jpeg
1722026756141.jpeg

1722026717424.jpeg
1722026677884.jpeg

Very nice. May I ask how much the walnut bowls on the right will be selling for?
The three on top are $180-$260. I have plenty of stickers to increase the price if things start selling to fastšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I have several walnut that are priced $220 - $300 but decided not to bring those, however I can bring them in Sunday if these sell.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Looks pretty good with some very nice work being shown, David. Just a few comments/questions for future shows:

1. The work on the table level looks crowded. Sometimes less is better. Perhaps some riser(s) for the back row if you still want to display that much work. Also might help to avoid any possible damage if people pick up & replace bowls by banging them into each other.
2. I assume the curtain in the back is provided by the venue. You might want to have your own side (and back) curtains in a complementary color for your work. But mostly to block what is shown or happening in the booths/spaces next to you. Helps to keep the focus on your work.
3. Where is your work space (wrapping, transactions, etc.)? Is it in the back corner(s)? If not, that is expensive real estate being wasted.

Good luck this weekend!

Looks pretty good with some very nice work being shown, David. Just a few comments/questions for future shows:

1. The work on the table level looks crowded. Sometimes less is better. Perhaps some riser(s) for the back row if you still want to display that much work. Also might help to avoid any possible damage if people pick up & replace bowls by banging them into each other.
2. I assume the curtain in the back is provided by the venue. You might want to have your own side (and back) curtains in a complementary color for your work. But mostly to block what is shown or happening in the booths/spaces next to you. Helps to keep the focus on your work.
3. Where is your work space (wrapping, transactions, etc.)? Is it in the back corner(s)? If not, that is expensive real estate being wasted.

Good luck this weekend!
Thanks for the feedback!!
1. Working on that, jut ran out of time for this show.
2. They wonā€™t allow any changes to the booth unless itā€™s something that is required to hang your items from.
3. I have wrapping and bags in the back corner. It worked out good the last show.

Best of luck to you! I hope it's a HUGE success. I really admire your work and I think you'll get many new fans at this show!
Where is this show taking place?
Would you mind sharing your range of prices (lowest cost and highest) just for comparison sake?

Enjoy the Air Conditioning!

Best of luck to you! I hope it's a HUGE success. I really admire your work and I think you'll get many new fans at this show!
Where is this show taking place?
Would you mind sharing your range of prices (lowest cost and highest) just for comparison sake?

Enjoy the Air Conditioning!
Thank you! This show is in Hickory, NC, I have a couple bowls for $50 and the most expensive piece is $300, and everything in between.

I always enjoy your work when you post and think the setup looks awesome! I like that everything is big, it feels like it needs to be taken seriously.
I do agree with Tom, maybe take a few pieces away? I see some that appear to look similar in the photo and I do think there's a psychological aspect to having those big pieces be unique and special. But I have never done a show, this is just an observation as someone who's ran a business (not turning related but I think consumer habits are not industry unique).
Most importantly, GOOD LUCK!!!! Please let us know how it goes...

I always enjoy your work when you post and think the setup looks awesome! I like that everything is big, it feels like it needs to be taken seriously.
I do agree with Tom, maybe take a few pieces away? I see some that appear to look similar in the photo and I do think there's a psychological aspect to having those big pieces be unique and special. But I have never done a show, this is just an observation as someone who's ran a business (not turning related but I think consumer habits are not industry unique).
Most importantly, GOOD LUCK!!!! Please let us know how it goes...
Thank you! I plan on removing some before the show tomorrow, I was just too tired to do anymore arranging todayšŸ˜‚

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Looks great and nice pieces. Hope you do well. My only comment, from experience, is large deep items on the top shelf mean they have to take them down to look inside and see them better. As they typically do, they stick their thumb or fingers over the lip and lift it up or off the shelf. Easy for the bark to get snapped off from the leverage. I've had it happen a few times so I always keep large live edge pieces where they can see inside without having to lift them off the table.

Very nice work! Couple things; I agree it's crowded. I'd put a short pedestal (even a little piece of 8/4 lifts it enough) under some of those on the tables to vary the height for a visual breakup. Second is the old term is round and brown. I put at least 2 or 3 brightly dyed pieces with a light focused on it if possible. It's that sizzle that stops people and draws them in. The major goal of any show is to get them in the booth. Too many will walk by without even slowing. You don't display the pricing? Some folks get really scared if they can't see the price. Even with the QR code, you'll still get asked about a business card.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I'd put a short pedestal (even a little piece of 8/4 lifts it enough) under some of those on the tables to vary the height for a visual breakup.
I was thinking the same.
For next time... I made pedestals cut from 3" (give or take) ABS (black) pipe. Turned round "tables" with a parting-tool groove to seat in the pipe (I probably mounted them on a faceplate with hot glue). Painted the MDF flat black. Various pipe heights and pedestal diameters can add visual break-up. And the flat black doesn't "compete" with the pieces on display.

The three on top are $180-$260. I have plenty of stickers to increase the price if things start selling to fastšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I have several walnut that are priced $220 - $300 but decided not to bring those, however I can bring them in Sunday if these sell.
Glad to see you can get those prices down there. The market I live in doesnā€™t seem to bear those prices. Best of luck!

Thank you everyone for the feedback! I agree that the table was crowded and I thinned it out some this morning, also pedestal stands and some bowl stands will be made before the next show.
Now the first day update: Foot traffic was no where near what the Christmas show was. There was a lot of crafty type items and food stuff. I had a great first day, sold a couple grand, had to pull bowls out from under the table and will take a few more tomorrow. It was a mixture of bowls that sold between natural edge and regular type bowls.
I sold more in the $140-$180 range than the $55 -$80 range. Lowest price sold was $55 and the highest was $300. I had one customer spend $600 and several customers buy a bowl, walk the floor and come back to buy another bowl. Received excellent feedback, had people wanting cards so they could get Christmas presents from me in the fall and many said they would be back at the Christmas show this year. And a couple customers who bought from me at the first show come buy and buy at this show.
Very happy with the first day considering the attendance. Now going through a few bowls to take tomorrow and then going to bed, Iā€™m tiredšŸ˜‚!

Thaks David for sharing your experience. As someone who is recently retired and thinking on what to do with the sudden increased quantity of turnings, I have wondered what it would look like if I was to "shows" and or "events". I find it extremely helpful to hear of your experience and see your display. Your pricing info also helps, and impressive 1-day sales!! I noted this am that Odie has started a thread on displays, which I am also paying attention to. Thanks, and congratulations!

Thank you again for all the feedback on the display.
Day 2: it was deadšŸ˜‚, sold one bowl. However I am happy with the amount of sales and the feed back I received. On day 2 I did have several people who bought at Christmas come by and either show me a picture of their bowl or tell me how happy the person that received it was. Also said they were making a list for this Christmas and would be buying some bowls from me. Several asked if they could come by my house to view my inventory and buy then.
This show was well advertised just donā€™t know where the people were, maybe vacationing before school starts back.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Day 2: it was deadšŸ˜‚, sold one bowl.
This show was well advertised just donā€™t know where the people were, maybe vacationing before school starts back.
I've always said that shows are a "crapshoot" !!! Can be different day to day and from year to year. If you do the same show(s) for 5-6 years in a row you can sort of know what to expect and what kind of inventory you might need ... or not! Speaking from my experience after 24 years. Last year of doing shows was in 2006.

Thank you again for all the feedback on the display.
Day 2: it was deadšŸ˜‚, sold one bowl. However I am happy with the amount of sales and the feed back I received. On day 2 I did have several people who bought at Christmas come by and either show me a picture of their bowl or tell me how happy the person that received it was. Also said they were making a list for this Christmas and would be buying some bowls from me. Several asked if they could come by my house to view my inventory and buy then.
Even though day two was a little slow, the ā€œword of mouthā€ factor you are generating on those slow days is invaluable. Iā€™ve had several customers come by my booth year after year and not buy anything (but say something kind) and then they come by, tell me theyā€™ve been saving their money just for one of my bowls and they become a buyer. Those are a great feeling but it only comes from being a consistent presence even on those slow days.

Great job on just your second show! Keep it up and maybe try to find more ā€œartā€ shows in the futureā€¦. Your work is definitely worthy!

Thank you! I have received business through word of mouth and I think thatā€™s great. Currently only have time to do two shows a year but may add an Art show next year.

Back