• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Alan Lacer

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Just assuming that the rumor that Alan was told he couldn't run for the Board, when his wife was employed by the AAW is true...

Welcome to the real world folks

Other then Mom&Pop businesses and organizations, most large organizations have a rule that: spouses are not allowed to supervise spouses, parents are not allowed to supervise children and children are not allowed to supervise parents.

It’s called Appearance of Conflict of Interest.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
Actually if I am not mistaken, an organization needs to address an issue like this in their by laws. I have been in organizations where if there is a conflict of interest involving a Board Member that person does not participate in voting.

I believe Barbara is correct. A addition/revision of bylaws is all that is necessary, might even already be addressed. It seems to me that not to long ago AAW was reaching out to members to run for office, not obstructing their interest in running.

I have worked for a couple of organizations that while I was working there my wife, kids or any relative could not be hired. Fact of life.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
We are not talking about hiring Alan

but electing him! Happens all the time. It just needs to be disclosed, and some sort of recusal protocol set up. Then it is up to the electorate. I would vote for Alan in a flash. We need all the great board members we can get.

Jerry,
While I agree that Alan would be a great addition, I suspect that he would be the first to say 'if there is any chance whatsoever that my being a board member would raise questions about my loyalties, I would decline'. Having been there, and done that in previous lives, I suspect the same would be true here.

Actually if I am not mistaken, an organization needs to address an issue like this in their by laws. I have been in organizations where if there is a conflict of interest involving a Board Member that person does not participate in voting.

Not necessary, Barbara. The ethics rules applying to tax exempt, not-for-profit charitable organizations like the AAW address the issue, and prohibit these kinds of situations. Board members have "fiduciary" obligations placed upon them whereas employees such as Mary do not. The suggestion that Alan might recuse himself on occasion is not viable because all board members may be required to vote on many things in order to act. The potential for a "hobbling" of the Board because of the conflict is improper. I know that it seems unfair to exclude a person with the knowledge and dedication of Alan from Board service, but that happened when Mary took on the paid Director's job. Notwithstanding Mary and Alan's outstanding "records" of service, the situation could easily give rise to devisive charges and allegations of improper conduct that, even if disproven, would divert both the Board and management from their duties.

There remain a host of ways and means that Alan can contribute to the AAW. I have no doubt that he'll continue on as in the past.

Mark, you have some very interesting points which were expressed as if you have knowledge of the tax exempt organization system. Thanks.

A. Attorney
B. Formed and represented a sec. 501 (c)(3) corporation formed to build a local community playground in my town. Spanned some three years of effort and culminated in a 5-day "build" where 1,500 skilled and unskilled volunteers took the $500,000 in donated money and materials and created 2 acres of castles, bridges, swings, trains, fire engines, pirate ships, and even a 8' earth globe, all starting on a field and wooded section. Along the way I had to run interference against all the 2-bit small town "politikers", major domoes, and various and assorted weenies looking to grab either a piece of the action or the glory or both. In the end, I was the last one done because I had to carve the globe. That's me in the middle with the big hammer because they kept complaining I wasn't carving fast enough, and God only took 6 days. I replied He had a bigger hammer and that's what you get for free, then somebody made a crack about cheap chiselers. :D

PS: Yes, there are ways around the rules that would allow Alan onto the board, but the process can be cumbersome and an honest mistake in application can cause real problems and heighten stress on those involved. I have therefore always counseled against the formal involvement.

Attachments

• god-squad.JPG
    god-squad.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Apre-c-a-tion

Very nice work, Mark! I hope the community appreciated your efforts.

Well, I got my name on a bronze plaque. Does that count?:D:D

Unfortunately, "doing" was more glamorous than "maintaining" to those who got the benefit. Sorry I never got a color pic of the globe. I had stained it a deep blue (water) and green (land) and when we hit it with the sealer the whole ocean surface shimmered with sunlight like actual water. It was completely outrageous. However, the maintenance was turned over to the township and they have severely neglected it. The oceans no longer sparkle among other elements and things that had to be removed because they were abused.

The globe was designed in response to a "design night" where local children were invited to come in and tell us what they wanted in their playground. One little guy said "I want the whole world in my playground," and so was born the globe. It actually functioned as a recycling site for all the 2x6 scrap lumber used to make the rest of the playground equipment. The pic is titled "The God Squad" because we were the ones cutting and gluing/screwing the thing together as the rest of the structures were built.

It was an immensely satisfying effort.

Last edited:
Back