• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to William Rogers for "Ambrosia Maple Platter" being selected as Turning of the Week for September 16, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Advice on which Jaws for Axm SK114

I decided to keep the Axminster SK114 standard kit but have been wanting larger jaws and I am hoping that someone has actual experience with either the Gripper "G" jaws (serrated internal grip 82mm to 100mm with 16mm depth) OR the standard dovetail "M" jaws (Potential gripping range: Internal 91mm to 117mm with 16mm depth)
The serrated gripper jaws would hold rough wood better than the M jaws but they have a smaller internal grip range... the perfect circle at 100 is almost 4" while the M jaws will expand to 4.6") Theorizing is all well and good but experience is really what matters.I was going to sell my two axminster chucks and migrate to vicmarc. Still thinking about it tho... will post here if i decide to sell. Thank you.

If the dovetail is configured correctly it makes absolutely no difference what the brand of chuck used. I have all the major brands of chucks and never go to the closet and choose the chuck by brand, I choose as to what jaws are on any of the chucks that I'm looking for. I have jaws from 1" to 8" diameter for dovetails. I never use gripper jaws even though I have a few.

I have the M jaws (and also the Colossus jaws) I use the M jaws a lot and they have a nice range. Mainly because I prefer dovetail vs serrated. I also have the serrated Colossus jaws that are really big and have only used them on occasion. Most of the time I use the M jaws and the O'Donnell jaws. I also have the C jaws.

I decided to keep the Axminster SK114 standard kit but have been wanting larger jaws and I am hoping that someone has actual experience with either the Gripper "G" jaws (serrated internal grip 82mm to 100mm with 16mm depth) OR the standard dovetail "M" jaws (Potential gripping range: Internal 91mm to 117mm with 16mm depth)
The serrated gripper jaws would hold rough wood better than the M jaws but they have a smaller internal grip range... the perfect circle at 100 is almost 4" while the M jaws will expand to 4.6") Theorizing is all well and good but experience is really what matters.I was going to sell my two axminster chucks and migrate to vicmarc. Still thinking about it tho... will post here if i decide to sell. Thank you.

I have both the "g" and the "m" but in reality I use the "h" the most because a lot of my rough turned bowls were turned before I had the "g" and "m" so the "h" matches the "c" That I had at the time. Just seems easier to me to use a gripper jaw because when I true up a tenon for final turning I don't have to make sure the dovetail is correct. Just put a nice right angle on it, and when I true up some of them the tenon gets smaller so the "h" works good for that too.

Back