• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Adhesives that work on silicon stoppers?

I've been playing with the silicon bottle stoppers sold by Woodcraft. They look like and easy way to turn a scrap piece of wood into a wine bottle stopper.

However, I can't find an adhesive that will stick to the silicon. :confused: I tried two grades of CA as well as 2-part epoxy and nothing sticks to the silicon. After a few uses the silicon stopper remains in the bottle when the wood piece is removed.

Does anyone have thoughts or ideas? All help is gladly accepted.

I have good luck with silicone sealant, stays flexible so it sticks pretty good. You can buy small squeeze tubes of the clear stuff at the box stores, looks like toothpaste tubes. Be sure it is silicone based and not that water-based "dries clear" garbarge. There is also some kind of clear glue that crafters us a lot, can't remember the name of it but box stores also sell it and it has a number like "522" or something. I'm laid-up in the house so I can't go look at it in the shop or I would check. Tha stuff stays flexible and holds about anything it touchs.

Secret to using those is it needs to be sticky AND remain flexible, CA and epoxy are a waste of time once they cure on something like this.

For personal use there really are my favorites to use. They are the only stoppers that I can put in the bottle and lay bottle down in wine cooler. Metal ones carrode and/or leak, cork ones soak wine through wood stem and ruin the stopper. Before I found these I would leave my fancy turned stoppers on the bar and just re-insert the cork in my wife's white wine, she only drinks it cool from the wine cooler. They do seal better than most stopper designs but aren't as fancy looking.

Last edited:
Back