• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Accurate digital angle finder

I got two of the same square shaped magnetic digital angle finders off Amazon for about $20 each and I can have them on the same surface and one measures +.25 deg and the other -.25 deg, and that's too much for my ADD a$$ to be able to handle.

Where can I find a good but cheap-as-possible brand/model of these things that gives a more accurate angle measurement?

Most all of them have a “zero” function/button. Simply set them both on the same surface and zero them out. Then place them on the same angled surface to see if they read the same.

If a 1/4 deg causes you angst working in the home shop you might try other activities

Digital angle finders commonly have a stated accuracy in the range of .2* despite a .05* display resolution. SPI You can spend more and get a minimal improvement. Mitutoyo For high precision look at sine bars used with precisely machined spacers. sine bars For the practical purpose of setting a miter gauge or tablesaw bevel angle accurately you can describe a large circle with trammel points, step off a number of chords around the circle and use a bevel gauge to pick up your desired angle.

It's not easy with standard woodworking tools to dial in the required accuracy for perfect segmented work, if that's what you are looking at. One method is to glue up half circles and then adjust the angles of the resulting segments. For fine adjustment of a miter cut a sled with a large quadrant is best. I imagine the commercial jigs for segmented cuts work on this principle.

Most all of them have a “zero” function/button. Simply set them both on the same surface and zero them out. Then place them on the same angled surface to see if they read the same.

If a 1/4 deg causes you angst working in the home shop you might try other activities
That’s funny Doug! When I add .125” to the diameter of one of my 180 segment rings, each segment increases .004”. I use a spark plug feeler gauge to move my ”stop”. This thousandths of an inch world is a “can” you might want to keep sealed, haha!!

.25 degrees doesn't sound like much, but it can mean a noticeable gap in a joint. Set your blade tilt off by that much, cut two pieces to mate together, and the resulting assembly is off by .5 degrees. Now multiply that by umpteen segments.

I have a Bosch digital protractor with approx. 16" legs and a stated accuracy of .1 degrees which reads out in .05 degree increments. I can move the legs apart by over 1/16" before the display changes. I use a fixed square with a few thousandths of deviation for 90* and 45* miters and do test cuts and assembly to confirm odd angle settings.

Last edited:
Cheap as possible along with accuracy should probably not be in the same sentence. I use an adjustable drafting triangle that is very easy to read fine measurements of the angle. Seeing a fine cursor near a mark can be very accurate. At least you can see where you are instead of guessing when a digit is going to change on a screen. https://www.draftingsuppliesdew.com...a0VUiAbtAN8BQhRMnfiJ_BE2AAYf6L2RoCPHUQAvD_BwE

That’s funny Doug! When I add .125” to the diameter of one of my 180 segment rings, each segment increases .004”. I use a spark plug feeler gauge to move my ”stop”. This thousandths of an inch world is a “can” you might want to keep sealed, haha!!
that's too much for my ADD a$$ to be able to handle.
The square angle finders are not used for segmenting. No mention of what the gauge was to be used for. As for increasing your segment by .004”, that’s linear, not angular - fail to get the relevance.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
The square angle finders are not used for segmenting. No mention of what the gauge was to be used for. As for increasing your segment by .004”, that’s linear, not angular - fail to get the relevance.
Makes a massive difference to accuracy when you are doing compound angles for segments (Imagine 36 segments each with an extra, or less .25 of a degree - when you get your compound segments glued up, you gonna have an unholy mess. So if you are using a wedgie sled, say, you can get very precise angles set up, but then you need to add the second angle (imagine tapered stave, for example) by tilting the table saw, that quarter degree "give or take" is a deal killer. Like John Lucas, I got the Wixie gauge and it has not let me down yet.

I got two of the same square shaped magnetic digital angle finders off Amazon

I interpret this statement to mean a gage similar to the one below. Appears pretty specific to me. I’ve got segmenting experience, and know how important the angle of segment edges are.

If ya’ll can ‘splain to me how you use it for segmenting I might learn something new.

1685218405773.jpeg

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I interpret this statement to mean a gage similar to the one below. Appears pretty specific to me. I’ve got segmenting experience, and know how important the angle of segment edges are.

If ya’ll can ‘splain to me how you use it for segmenting I might learn something new.

View attachment 52865
Here's one I've done - I set my wedgie sled vertical (on table saw top), and zero the angle finder against the sled rail runner (which is a nice snug fit in the miter slot, which is perfectly parallel to the blade) and then lay it against one of the fences and set my angle desired. That one time I tried that it came out perfectly and didn't need to make any further adjustments. Would also use it if I were cutting compound angles (Your wedge sled sets one angle, and then your blade angle sets the second, so you'll want blade angle to be as equally accurate as your sled fence angle, no?)

It was “tongue in cheek” comment regarding your .25 degree of an angle as a shop altering tolerance Doug. No offense intended! FWIW, 180 segments have 1 degree angle, .25 degrees is a bunch; I would be only able to fit 144 segments into the ring at 1.25 degrees!

Back