• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

aaw journal

Mine came in torn again - wish they would do like Woodturning and overpack the journal in a plastic bag for protection. Most all of mine have torn covers!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I saw it at Woodcraft monday. It looks great. I haven't gotten my copy yet.
I was lucky and met my mailman one day and mentioned that I save all my magazines to be used by other woodworkers. I was very nice and thanked him for delivering all the junk and catalogs I get. Since then haven't had a torn magazine.

Because I'm a new member and I received my first copy of the journal yesterday I have nothing to compare it to, other than perhaps National Geographic for the photography, but I am VERY impressed with everything about this magazine. The depth and breadth of the content is spectacular. Don't miss the light hearted article "Code V" by Stephen Gleasner. If he turns wood as well as he writes he's a two barrel champion. :cool2:
The article re: Rose Engine Lathe was interesting but I was disappointed to see that the author doesn't make the distinction between Wood turning and Wood machining. The application of the Rose Engine Lathe is really the latter of the two.

Last edited:
Mine came in yesterday's mail, in fine condition as usual. Skimmed it then read the critique article, worthwhile reading, next on line challenge is not for the faint of heart, can't wait to see the entries. :cool2:

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Stephen Gleasnor is not only a good turner but a good woodworker and an expert at finishing. Nice guy also.

Website
www.georgetroygraphics.com
The bright dying is a little strong for me. I wonder if it would sell in Podunk Kansas. I did like Tom Crab's article, well written and described. Neat little Salt & Pepper shakers. I also enjoyed Best Foot Forward. Glad to have the Journal, keeps me up to date. GT

robert davis said:
how do you like the cover of spring aaw journal?

Website
www.artisticwoods.com
I got my copy earlier in the week and was pleased with the colorful cover and layout - it is getting better every quarter!

I really enjoyed the essays on the American Craft Critique from this fall - I went back and reread the Craft article. I agree - the wood should be the focus of our work.

Ray

Journal

TEN-FOUR, WIL.....
I keep getting the mag all mangled and wet....WHEN ARE THE POWERS THAT BE GOING TO GET WISE!!!! We are going to be facing a raise in dues next year, we are paying for a collector journal that is tossed into the mail system like a piece of junk mail, and I have complained before.....this mag is to be saved and cherished, passed on or shared with new turners. I at least would like to get it in pristine condition. Could it be THAT much more expensive to pack in a plastic or brown paper protective shipping cover???? (I feel better now...got all that stress and stuff out!!!!!!) :eek: :eek:

Mangled issues

Mr. Don said:
I keep getting the mag all mangled and wet....
Mr. Don,
If it is really that important to you, read the little section on page 3, right column, first item in "Member Services".

underdog said:
Should I have gotten mine by now? :confused:

SOON. . . . . . . . . .

Note Steve Worcester said in the new contest announcement,
"2/19/07 (corresponding to the AAW Journal Spring 2007 issue)"
is the Spring 07 issue date, so it has only been 2 weeks.

Note robert davis started this jealousy fest on 2/22 when he had to tell all of us that HIS had arrived. (Mine came Saturday, March 3, which is about 2 weeks "early".)
Hang in there underdog!

Ann

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
AnnHerbst said:
SOON. . . . . . . . . .

Note Steve Worcester said in the new contest announcement,
"2/19/07 (corresponding to the AAW Journal Spring 2007 issue)"
is the Spring 07 issue date, so it has only been 2 weeks.

Note robert davis started this jealousy fest on 2/22 when he had to tell all of us that HIS had arrived. (Mine came Saturday, March 3, which is about 2 weeks "early".)
Hang in there underdog!

Ann
For the record, as far as I know, the Journal should have been shipped to arrive this week (or around March 1-6). I went looking for it last week at Barnes and Noble and they didn't have it yet.

The 19th was an arbitrary date, seeing how some got it early and I didn't want them to be penalized by a greater than speedy postal carrier. I think Robert is the first to get it. I know ahead of time what the contest is, but I wait to post it to coincide with when it SHOULD be at your houses, I don't put it out early because then we get the posts about those less fortunate who have not received theirs yet.

Thanks guys...

No biggie, I was just wondering if I needed to start thinking about re-ordering it yet.

I'll just continue waiting for it then. :cool2:

nuturner said:
The article re: Rose Engine Lathe was interesting but I was disappointed to see that the author doesn't make the distinction between Wood turning and Wood machining. The application of the Rose Engine Lathe is really the latter of the two.

True, but overly restrictive IMHO. In effect, the headstock is a rotating and movable router table. IIRC, Holtzapfel's lathes all had a rotary cutter, and the work was still called ornamental turning.

Joe

I always thought that "spiral turning" was a bit of a misnomer too, since it's mostly layout and carving. But it's still included in the craft of spindle turning.

Personally I'm not going to get my shorts in a wad over it if someone wants to call Rose Engine work "turning". It's still pretty darn cool.

Website
www.abhats.com
The cover or the content

A year ago I thought "AAW" should stand for "American Association of Woodcarvers", what with the direction we were going, but now think it should be the "American Association of Whatever (you can do with a piece of wood)". Before, we didn't care if there was fifteen minutes of turning in a piece that took a month to carve, sand, dye, paint, burn, drill and anything else someone could think of. This issue says there's supposed to be a chapter of ornamental turners, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere and milling is now a part of turning. It's nice to be diverse, but the magazine has to at least double its size to cover all these different niches without showing favoritism. I'd think about 300 pages should suffice for now.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Steve Worcester said:
For the record, as far as I know, the Journal should have been shipped to arrive this week (or around March 1-6). I went looking for it last week at Barnes and Noble and they didn't have it yet.

The 19th was an arbitrary date, seeing how some got it early and I didn't want them to be penalized by a greater than speedy postal carrier. I think Robert is the first to get it. I know ahead of time what the contest is, but I wait to post it to coincide with when it SHOULD be at your houses, I don't put it out early because then we get the posts about those less fortunate who have not received theirs yet.

When do we hit the panic button?? As of today the Journal has not arrived. Actually as I got to thinking about it, I have not received anything this year. The directory, nothing.

According to my bank, the membership for this year was paid on 29 Nov 2006, so I didn't forget to pay (I paid before the little issue with the web-site, but the fact I got an e-mail and the bill made me think it got renewed OK)

Wondering
Ralph

Ralph,

A definitive answer is only a phone call, email, fax or postage stamp away. Here's the AAW main office contact info:

American Association of Woodturners
222 Landmark Center
75 West Fifth St.
St. Paul, MN 55102
651-484-9094
651-484-1724 (fax)
inquiries@woodturner.org

Back