• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW Fall Contest WINNERS!

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
The non-traditional finial box was judged by the articles author, Fred Klap. Below are his comments on each piece with a link to the winners.

<Fred> I have picked out my choice for the top three entries and written a small critique of each

Winner - leppikallio
PIC1
PIC2

Elegant floral finial and textured ball box shows excellent turning, carving and design skills. The design elements are well executed and the proportions balanced.

Second Place - Gary Ljostad
PIC1
PIC2

Gary! Your piece poses the question, where is the finial and do you dare touch? This is a fun piece: attractive and balanced. When opened there is a further surprise with your inclusion .

Third Place - Mark Damron
PIC1
PIC2

Very innovative box with striking bat finial. Excellent use of mixed media.

Comments on other entries -

Ed McDonnell.

Excellent piece. My only comment is that you have one element too much. If you remove the foot the box becomes more balanced, or if you turn the box upside down the foot becomes an attractive finial. This will allow focus on the excellent form and workmanship.

Ron Coleman.

Beautifully turned piece and lid. The branches are an interesting accent but I find it conflicts with the elegant lines of the piece Nice work.

cjgreen

Great use of color and form. My only comment is that the colors on the base and body are in conflict, and I find it hard to find a place to focus on. The wire hair ornament is an excellent element.

Machine Artist.

I like your horn finial and contrasting lid. The bottom of your piece could be refined and made a little more delicate. Nice Work.

JerryG.

Very interesting oval box. Your photo background obscures the finial but from what I can see this is a creative approach to decorative turning I look forward to seeing great pieces in the future from you.

robert davis.

Nice box form and what a great hollow finial with small interior ornament. Your lines flow and the finish looks excellent. Very nice piece.

Rules can be found here
http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=3954

Pictures of all entries here
http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=4035

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to Fred for taking the time to judge the contest and write up the comments on each piece.

My local club is doing the same contest this month (non-traditional finial boxes). I had planned on entering the same box in both contests, but I think I'll head out to the shop and make up a new entry for my local contest.

I'm looking forward to the AAW Winter Challenge.

Ed

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Congratulations To ALL

This was a GREAT contest with excellent entries, across the board. I am glad that I didn't have to pick a winner (or loser), there is merit in every piece.
Thanks for a great contest, I can't wait to see the next one!

What a great group of entries. Really spectacular creativity in each. Congrats to everyone!

Back