• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A lathe does more than allow you to turn wood!

Busted the crystal on my Citizen Eco Drive watch this week while working on my Lawn Tractor and Mower. Packed it off to Citizen this morning. Had a cheap promotional watch in my dresser drawer from work about 20 years ago. Managed to get the back cover off and the battery out. Even with my shaky hands, I got the new battery in and gasket properly positioned, but it was impossible to get the back cover to snap in place. Eureka - use the arbors I have for pressing pens together. Ended up with the #3 Stub arbor in the tailstock and a flat piece leftover from box making in the Talon Chuck. Positioned the back accurately with some bits of masking tape, cushioned the face with a piece of denim I use for polishing and gently pressed it in. Worked like a charm! As a footnote, after Glenn Lucas talked about lathe maintenance during his recent Ontario tour, I took my tailstock apart and lubed it. Wow, was I impressed with the design of the Oneway 2436 feedscrew.
Fixing Watch.jpg

Last edited:
I park my coffee on the lathe bed. I also drape my smock over the lathe during intermissions. I even turn wood with it!

Gary, the secret is to act like you have a bad back and another sympathetic camper will raise it for you. Give them a cold brew or soda for their help. If they are really nice, a glass of wine would be in order. No, not Boone's Farm or Ripple.

Gary, the secret is to act like you have a bad back and another sympathetic camper will raise it for you. Give them a cold brew or soda for their help. If they are really nice, a glass of wine would be in order. No, not Boone's Farm or Ripple.
Never works like that. Everyone else is off on thier own adventure and I want it done now. This does simplify things a lot and if I were buying another camper n he future it would have electric lifts and leveling.

FWIW, my parents had a motor home with electric lifts. He had to have two repaired. Technician told him to get hydraulic lifts on the next motor home.

Back