• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A couple of questions

I've seen a simple plan for making a remote switch with a magnetic base. But the plan doesn't say exactly how the switch is wired in. It sounds as if the switch is, in effect, just spliced into the lathe's power cord, so that using the remote switch is equivalent to unplugging the lathe. This plan was specifically proffered for the PM3520. My question is this: Would this sort of remote switching do any harm to the electronics?

On an unrelated note, does anyone know why the knock-out bar for the PM3520 slides in and out of the weighted handle?

Bill

The one I saw was just that and it may damage your controller. But you can wire a second start/stop switch set into your controller. You need the schematic on your controller and find the remote settings. Almost all have them and the two powermatics I have worked on each got one. Momentary buttons are available at Radio Shack, along with a box and magnetic mount. Good Luck.

I wired a remote switch for my 3520b. It is in series with the push pull switch that is on the lathe. The manual has a note somewhere in it that if the lathe is switched on, and the power is interupted, and comes back on with the lathe switch in the on position, the lathe will not start.

Most VFD's do not like to have the power to them shut on and off for starting and stopping the motor they control.

Later,

Dale M

Dale, glad you jumped in there. Long day. Most controllers not only do not like to have the power turned off while running, a few get mean about it. The Delta controller will remember such an occurance and cause a glitch or shut down at the most inappropriate time.

The Bayou Woodturners have one in their power line for emergencies and learned how to drain the diode when it was switched off like that.

Thanks for jumping in.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I installed one on my 3520A in series with push pull switch. I've never had any problems with the controller. The only problem I've had is with the remote switch getting dirty and not working. This seems to be a common problem. I've never had a problem with the controller. You aren't switching the controller on or off only the switching circuit.

R

Ron Sardo

Where can I find some info on making a remote switch.

TIA

I installed one on my 3520A in series with push pull switch. I've never had any problems with the controller. The only problem I've had is with the remote switch getting dirty and not working. This seems to be a common problem. I've never had a problem with the controller. You aren't switching the controller on or off only the switching circuit.

I don't have a remote on my 3520, but I do have a line switch that I use to shut down the entire power circuit when I'm finished for the day. I also rarely use the machines red on off switch. I simply use the speed control. With the speed control set to zero and the line switch off, to restart the machine it is necessary to reset by turning off, using the red on/off, then back on. This activates the controller. The remote put in series with red on/off would be the same. Three years into this method has yet to cause any bumps in the road for my controller.

Bill, your second question didn't get answered so...

The knock out bar slides in the weighted handle so you can get more force to the bar without using your fist or some other heavier tool.

Thanks for all the replies. I had a feeling that just interposing a switch between the wall outlet and the controller was too easy to be true.

Bill

Back