• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A Buffing Question

How are you cleaning off your work when changing buffing compounds? For example, changing from Tripoli to White Diamond. I am using two seperate wheels and have not made the mistake of mixing the two compounds.
I ask because I think I am getting some contamination between the two compounds leaving some noticeable scratchs. It's driving me nuts!!!

GA Darling

Toothbrush and mineral spirits, or just a rag if you're doing the finish versus the wood. The Mac Mop does the same sort of thing as the buff, burnishing the surface, but 180 is as fine as they come. Mini-Mops come to 320, but my buffer has a 5/8 coarse thread, and I can't locate a chuck for them. Think I might search out my old buffing mandrel which was 1/2" fine and get a chuck. Won't reach as far as "The Big Buffer," but it's an idea.

Ever just said to H*ll with it and burnished with a paper bag on the lathe? Pretty nice result.

I use the Beall buffing system and haven't had any problems in cleaning. Could it be because they use different material for each wheel, i.e. cotton, linen, etc? Anyway, the wheels and compounds do a great job.

GA Darling said:
I ask because I think I am getting some contamination between the two compounds leaving some noticeable scratchs. It's driving me nuts!!!

GA Darling
Are you sure the buffing compounds are causing the scratches?

Buffing compounds are at the very fine end of the grit range, 1000 grit or finer. (The exact numbers escape me at the moment.)

I usually wipe the piece off with an old, clean cotton T-shirt.

I'd have to agree that the mop is contaminated. I trued my grinding wheel once with the buffing drawer open :mad: . Never did get all the grit out. I don't clean the piece between red/white/wax. Good luck.

jdsilwones said:
I'd have to agree that the mop is contaminated. I trued my grinding wheel once with the buffing drawer open :mad: . Never did get all the grit out. I don't clean the piece between red/white/wax. Good luck.

Both wheels were brand new. Linen for the Tripoli and flannel for the White Diamond. They were kept sealed in the plastic bags they came in so I don't think it was a problem with getting grit in the wheels. No noticable sign of anything on the wheels before putting compound on them. Now I guess I'll never know because the problem has gone away. Thanks for all your responses. :confused: :confused: :confused:

GA Darling

Back