• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

A Big Thank You to Malcolm and Bob!

Before too much time passes, I want to publicly thank Malcolm Tibbetts and Bob Rosand, two of the 10 demonstrators at last week's Desert Woodturning Roundup. While I'm sure all the demonstrators were great, I was only able to attend demos by Malcolm and Bob. (There are three rounds of demonstrations Saturday and Sunday. I was only able to attend Saturday.)

For those of you interested in segmented turning, you should attend a class taught by Malcolm. His presentation provided a wealth of information. It was very well thought out and obviously the result of a lot of preparation. He used a Power Point presentation to clearly illustrate different techniques for safely and accurately cutting and sanding segments, brought pre-cut segments with which he showed us how to glue up a ring using rubber bands for clamps, showed us how to true up each ring on the sander and then the lathe, etc. His presentation was clear, concise, filled with good humor, and did a lot towards demystifying the process of designing and creating a segmented turning. To top it all off, Malcolm went out of his way to make himself available to answer questions between demonstrations. He did a first class job. Oh, and he sold me a copy of his book and inscribed it for me. Very cool

I was able to attend two of Bob Rosand's demonstrations. Bob's presentations were a lot of fun. They featured more actual turning time than did Malcolm's (hey, you're not going to make and turn a segmented vessel from start to finish in 90 minutes!). Very informative and full of practical tips that all turners (new and experienced) could benefit from. In the first demonstration, he showed us how he makes his small lidded boxes. In the second, he showed us how to make an oil lamp, a handle for a turning tool, and a ring caddy. As he finished each piece, his wife held a drawing and one of those in attendance got to keep the turning. I thought that was a very nice touch -- even though I didn't win anything! Like Malcolm, Bob was more than willing to answer questions from turners before and after his demos. If you have a chance to attend a class from Bob, take advantage of the opportunity.

Lastly, many of the demonstrators generously donated items to the DWR silent auction. Bob was especially generous in this regard. He donated a couple of Christmas ornaments, a pair of birdhouse earrings (incredibly small), and a lidded box. (That's all I recall, he may have given more.) Thank you, Bob. Your generous contributions will make it easier for us to put on the DWR next year.

Back