• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

31 inch bubinga dish

Incredible

I am awe struck... this is a beautiful piece. A bit large for my dining room table but my wife wouldn't complain if I presented something like that to her. She might just decide to have me build her a bigger dining room.
It wouldn't be polite to ask how you managed to pay for it so I'll just ask where did you find a 31" width of Bubinga?

Last edited:
Website
www.la-truciolara.com
nuturner said:
I am awe struck... this is a beautiful piece. A bit large for my dining room table but my wife wouldn't complain if I presented something like that to her. She might just decide to have me build her a bigger dining room.
It wouldn't be polite to ask how you managed to pay for it so I'll just ask where did you find a 31" width of Bubinga?
You would be very surprised! Hewas given these pieces as the saw man knew it could not be sold because of the variances in the grain. As he knew Norbert liked this tye of wood he gave him two 4 meter long 80 cm wide, 15 cm thick pieces of Bubinga.
In return I gave him this dish.

GA Darling said:
You must have big tables in Italy. Beautiful piece though.
GA Darling
My personal record is a dish of 120 cm .. 47 inches???(naturaly it was segmented). Very simple and clean shape. It was an order from a lady architect for a Villa on the lake of Geneva Switzerland. I saw my "dish" on the table ... it looked like an ash tray. Aroud the table were comfortably staying 22 large arm chairs.... I visited the Villa and one of the bath room, as large as all my flat, was totaly in Onix and we could see the light through. It belongs to a Saudy (probably working at Aramco) :p

waltben said:
I've done a 25" bubbinga bowl and really know how much work you've got to put into something like that - it's beautiful!
His is very very nice too. COngratulation.
Yes, I did a few trips back and forth to sharpen the gouges.

Last edited:
Back