• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

300 pound birch burl

One of my students brought this burl in last week. It had set in some ones yard for two years and looks to be spalted very nice. I am going to have to get a bigger lathe. This sucker ways over 300 lbs. We put it on a scale that goes to 300 and it went way past 300. The burl behind it weighed over 240. We have cut a nice blank out of it to turn a few bowls. The scraps will make for some nice bowls as well.
Jack

Attachments

• 100_0272 burl.jpg
    100_0272 burl.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
So Where you at in NC. I'll drive up this weekend, help you out and take some of that off your hands :D WOW!! That is a nice one. Show pics once you get her cut.
Brian

From the looks of it, Jack, what you got there is an onion burl. These are different from the oak, maple, and cherry burls that you see, which are pin burls. Just from the name, you can probably guess the difference. Just in case, the pin burls are made up of a mass of individual growths shaped like, you guessed it, pins. if you cut off the top, it will look like a bunch of small circles all mushed together. An onion burl is made up of, yup, layers like an onion. It's basically where the tissue of the tree grew rapidly in one spot and a cross section will look alot like an onion cut in half.

This makes a difference when turning how? Well, you want to pay a bit more attention to the grain orientation with the onion burl. With pin burls, pretty much anywhere you cut will be highly figured with flame patterns. You're less likely to get flame like figure but more likely to get big swirls and streaks in the onion burls so check your figure often when cutting. Also, orientation of the stock matters more, as you have the option to turn out the inside to pursue having one or two layers of grain be the whole bowl.

Have fun,
Dietrich

I have already cut the burl into blanks that is behind the big one and it was just as Dietrich said. One of the turning club members is going to core out a few bowls for me out of both.
Jack

Birch burl is truly gorgeous. I have found that it resembles sun rays. Try very hard to use the right finish on this bowl. I have turned a few small birch burls about the size of dooknobs. I like Boiled Linseed Oil covered by blonde shellac.

Burl

WWWEELLLL!!! Still waiting for the arrival of the truck delivering that burl. Hope you sent it pre-paid!! Yup, that is truly one purty hunk-a-wood!!! Spin some neat stuff out of it and post....will be impatiently waiting!!! (DROOL, SLOBBER!!). Enjoy...that is a once-in-a-lifetime deal. GAWD, I'm JELLUSS!! :D :D :D

Got the burl cut up. One very large blank and two more large ones that I will have to turn on a fellow woodturners lathe because they are all to large for mine. He has a 3520 PM. The best figure is where the tree and the burl met. I also got a lot of blanks that will make small to medium size bowls. The pieces to small for bowls will go into turkey calls. Some of the local turners have started bringing me some of their small scraps so I can use them making calls. Here is a call I made from a spalted birch scrap. It is the first call I turned end grain.
Jack

Attachments

• 100_0266 call.jpg
    100_0266 call.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 298
Here is a pic of the first bowl turned from the burl. It is from a piece of the scrape that came from making several nice blanks.
Jack

Attachments

• 100_0330.JPG
    100_0330.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 100_0331.JPG
    100_0331.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Back