• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

2008 AAW symposium update

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
AAW Members,
Your Symposium is the largest woodturning event on the planet.
While Registration won’t open for a few weeks, we did some planning at our November Board meeting for making Richmond one of the best ever. 2008 certainly will be the largest in terms of demonstrators and demo rooms.

We'll have
56 people (+ a few to be named) demonstrating, presenting, and giving youth classes. Ed has posted the list
http://www.woodturner.org/sym/sym2008/demo_1.pdf

15 demonstration rooms with over 2500 seats
A spectacular instant Gallery
A huge trade show
Marvelous exhibitions.

New in the 2008 Registration Process:
We will sell 1600 banquette tickets separately at $40 each.
The symposium registration will cost $240 and not include a banquette tickets.

Additional details will appear in the next Journal and
watch http://www.woodturner.org/sym/sym2008/ for additional postings.

Plan now to be in Richmond June 20-22!

Happy Turning,
Al

Thanks for the update.

As a new AAW member I am looking forward to going to my first symposium. I have a sister in Richmond so I can combine a family visit with an educational event.

That being said, is the registration fee always that high. As a turner on a budget, it seems like a lot. I know you get to see tons of stuff but it all still adds up. Just asking.

I'll just have to save a little harder.

fee

the national symposium usually runs a little higher, but the # and diversery of the demostraters is greater than a regional symposium

richmond will be my first national symposium

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Thanks for the update.

As a new AAW member I am looking forward to going to my first symposium. I have a sister in Richmond so I can combine a family visit with an educational event.

That being said, is the registration fee always that high. As a turner on a budget, it seems like a lot. I know you get to see tons of stuff but it all still adds up. Just asking.

I'll just have to save a little harder.
I am going to do everything in my power to be at tis one, it's only hundreds of miles from my home.
As a guy who has gone to several local symposiums, and demonstrated some, as well, I am going to suggest that what you will see and learn will be well worth the cost... Especially since it sounds like you'll have a place to stay.
By the way, I THINK you can have the fee waived for this symposium.. AAW is having a membership drive.

Registration fee???

The symposium registration will cost $240 and not include a banquette tickets.
Al

Pardon this newbie for asking, but, what is the registration fee for?

Surely that isn't the cost of a ticket for a member to walk through the door and look around? If so, then how very disappointing this is, I guess I'll never be able to attend a Symposium.:(

Website
www.ralphandellen.us

Surely that isn't the cost of a ticket for a member to walk through the door and look around? If so, then how very disappointing this is, I guess I'll never be able to attend a Symposium.:(

A number of things, like paying for the rental of the Richmond Convention Center, paying for the costs of putting on (probably) over 100 programs (called the "Rotation"), paying this and that.
While I have never been involved in putting on a Turning Symposium, I have been involved in putting on other, similar, programs. It ain't cheap and the money has to come from somewere.

As for "coming in and walking around", if it's run like (most?) previous ones, the Trade Show (vendors) and Instant Gallery will be open to the public.

Instant gallery / vendors free

Surely that isn't the cost of a ticket for a member to walk through the door and look around? ... :(

The instant gallery and the vendor areas are FREE and open to the general public. :) Note the vendors try get you to lighten their load for a price. ;)

The registration fee gets you into the demo sessions (there were 11 sessions: 42 Demonstrators - 144 Rotations; in 3 days in Portland) and lets you put 1 - 3 items into the instant gallery.

(In my experience in 2007, conferences cost $100 - 150 dollars per day, (plus housing). That included 3 work related, 2 turning related and 1 church related.)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Eric,

There are two answers.

1. Parts of the symposium are open to general public at no cost.
These include Gallery shows, Instant Gallery, and the trade show. These are well worth attending. Allow 4-6 hours if you want to see the instant Gallery. 2 hours for the trades show and at least an hour for each gallery show. The registrations fee is to attend the demonstrations.

2. The registration fee is to cover the cost of the Symposium. I think Portland cost over $400K. Richmond is expected to be a bit more.

You can attend for free if you participate in the AAW membership drive.

Hope to see you in Richmond,
Al

Symposium

To those of you that think registration is unfair or too high...let me just say one thing....the one in Portland was, in my opinion, a one-time event. I brought my Grandson to it, he got into the youth turning, we both had an ABSOLUTE KICK-BUTT BLAST!!!! What with the demos, vendor displays, and all the other things (yup, junk food included) it was worth many times the one-day fee that I could afford, to imbed in both our heads memories and images that time will NEVER erase!!!:D::cool2:

Thanks for the information

To those of you that think registration is unfair or too high...let me just say one thing....the one in Portland was, in my opinion, a one-time event. I brought my Grandson to it, he got into the youth turning, we both had an ABSOLUTE KICK-BUTT BLAST!!!! What with the demos, vendor displays, and all the other things (yup, junk food included) it was worth many times the one-day fee that I could afford, to imbed in both our heads memories and images that time will NEVER erase!!!:D::cool2:

Don, and all the rest, thank you for taking the time to enlighten a newbie.
Please don't take my post as complaining, I'm not, I was just disappointed with the prospects not being able to attend. I have never had an opportunity to attend one of these events due to their location, and as such, never paid much attention to any of the details in the AW. I would love to attend and take part in the demo's but can't justify the impact to our budget at this time, I'm newly retired and getting use to the fixed income.

Incorrectly I was comparing, in my mind, the symposium with the woodworking shows that come around once a year. Therefore, the sticker shock. I support the AAW mission and believe they know what they are doing.

Again, thanks for taking the time to enlighten this newbie.

Cheers

Back