• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

$1000

I was looking at the robust AB but it went up $1000 in the last month everyone has a breaking point and that was mine when it went up that much.
So my question what is the next best lathe at that size

Interesting question with no right answer. Most folks are advised to buy the best lathe they can afford to buy. That way you are not constantly upgrading before getting your "forever lathe".

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, you apparently felt the AB "was the best" but couldn't pull the trigger and purchase it when you had the opportunity before it went up in price.

Since you feel the AB is the best, my advice would be to save the extra $1,000 you need to buy the AB and then "go get it". Doubtful you'll have any regrets in the long-run.

*disclaimer - I have the Robust Sweet 16 and love it.

Interesting question with no right answer. Most folks are advised to buy the best lathe they can afford to buy. That way you are not constantly upgrading before getting your "forever lathe".

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, you apparently felt the AB "was the best" but couldn't pull the trigger and purchase it when you had the opportunity before it went up in price.

Since you feel the AB is the best, my advice would be to save the extra $1,000 you need to buy the AB and then "go get it". Doubtful you'll have any regrets in the long-run.

*disclaimer - I have the Robust Sweet 16 and love it.
Long story short I was two days away from picking up my AB but I fell and broke my shoulder it was bad so I had to cancel the AB cause doctors thought I mite not get much mobility back
So anyway it is better than expected and I just can’t reorder cause the price went up so much

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
That’s a tough situation Tom. I hope the shoulder is healing well.

I can’t speak to the next best lathe based on experience, but I know that I’ve seen countless posts where people are completed elated with their Powermatic, OneWay, Stubby, Vicmarc, etc… I guess it depends on what you’re trying to get out of the lathe and what kind of things you wanna turn. Maybe just get a giant Wadkin RS and turn columns forever. Ha.

Tom, I'm sad to hear of your injury, but, if I understand your post, you are healing up better than you'd expected. As Michael pointed out there are other great lathes out there. But if you're shoulder mobility is not 100%, and you're going to look at other lathes, you might want to consider a model that has a rotating head stock, which may offer you some ergonomic benefits. Of course it depends on what and how you turn, etc.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com

Take a look at the ONEWAY 2416 with a 17” outboard.
using the outboard is a lot faster than sliding a headstock.

If you do an occasional long turning you can bolt the Out board bed onto 16” bed giving 33” between centers.

A couple other options are the vicmark 240 or a stubby

Depending on individuals. Many rate the ONEWAY first, others the Vicmark, or the stubby
The Robust is a ver nice lathe just would not be my first choice.

Tom, here's a thought. I hate to put him on the spot, but Brent English is a pretty good guy. Maybe call him up and explain what happened, and ask if you can still buy it at the prior price. If it was through one of the distributors, they're also generally pretty good folks, and you might do the same with whomever you had an arrangement with. There's nothing to lose.

That’s a tough situation Tom. I hope the shoulder is healing well.

I can’t speak to the next best lathe based on experience, but I know that I’ve seen countless posts where people are completed elated with their Powermatic, OneWay, Stubby, Vicmarc, etc… I guess it depends on what you’re trying to get out of the lathe and what kind of things you wanna turn. Maybe just get a giant Wadkin RS and turn columns forever. Ha.
Thanks
I was thinking the powermatic would be good a couple others I have not heard of and will have to look them up

Tom, here's a thought. I hate to put him on the spot, but Brent English is a pretty good guy. Maybe call him up and explain what happened, and ask if you can still buy it at the prior price. If it was through one of the distributors, they're also generally pretty good folks, and you might do the same with whomever you had an arrangement with. There's nothing to lose.
Good idea
I am going to there open house and will give it a shot
I sure don’t blame them for the price hike it is just the way the economy is now

Tom, I'm sad to hear of your injury, but, if I understand your post, you are healing up better than you'd expected. As Michael pointed out there are other great lathes out there. But if you're shoulder mobility is not 100%, and you're going to look at other lathes, you might want to consider a model that has a rotating head stock, which may offer you some ergonomic benefits. Of course it depends on what and how you turn, etc.
That is a good thought with the rotating head stock thanks

Long story short I was two days away from picking up my AB but I fell and broke my shoulder it was bad so I had to cancel the AB cause doctors thought I mite not get much mobility back
So anyway it is better than expected and I just can’t reorder cause the price went up so much
Sorry to hear about the accident Tom and glad you are recovering better than expected. Nice you are able to go the Robust Open House this weekend. No doubt you will get some good advice from Brent, and others, while attending. Hoping you end-up with the lathe you really desire.

Save up. Problem I see, is you have your heart/desire for one lathe, then buy a different one, in the long run, even thought the one you bought for less works just as good, you'll always have doubts/regrets. I say save up for the one you want and go for it. They will always go up. The one I bought has gone up 1k in price the last couple years but, it's the one I wanted and would buy it again even at a higher price. IMHO

I have a Powermatic 3520C. It is solid and can do much more than my ability lets me so it is my one and only lathe. No desire to upgrade, or sell it. I have arty-right-us. carpel tunnel, bad back and bad knees. This one does everything I can ask it and more.

For a rotating headstock, go with the Vicmark 240. I have one and love it. 3 speed ranges, which I prefer, and a very slow speed for sanding my warped bowls.

robo hippy

A second vote for the Vicmarc 240 "IF" because of your health issues, ergonomics is a prime factor in your lathe choosing decision. Only downside if you want to call it that is you must order from the Canadian distributor to get that machine. Craft Supplies USA only brings in the VL300 with the fixed head. For me, because of neck & back issues, the swivel head has been the cat's meow. Ken at Branches To Bowls is easy to deal with and was very helpful with ordering, install advice and follow up. Depending on exchange rates at time of ordering and what options you get with the machine, you can get a really nice rig in the 7K to 8k USD range, if that fits your budget. Here's a pic of mine with tailstock swing away & head turned 30 degrees. A very nice bowl & HF machine if that's the type of stuff you want to make. VL240 1.jpg

Can they be ordered from Woodworker's Emporium in 'Lost Wages' Nevada? Not sure if they are going to be coming to the Oregon Woodturning Symposium in March or not.

robo hippy

Not sure if W.E. carries it or not. I'd assume they might be able to special order it like C.S. but lead time would be around 6 months. I tried calling them but got some screwy voice-mail system without a call back so I nixed them.

10 grand for a lathe? Who knew spinning a piece of wood around could cost so much? Maybe it just SEEMS expensive?
The whole world has gone nuts with this inflation!
I'd be looking used for a slightly better deal.

One of our club members has been researching, he has almost finalized his decision on the Stubby 1000. A few months ago he told me the Stubby was substantially cheaper than the AB, even including shipping.

Another option is to keep a look out for a used lathe and accessories in good shape. Replacing headstock spindle bearings is usually the
worst case scenario. A new motor or VFD is also easily sourced for most lathes. Plenty of Baby Boomers are retiring and many of them
purchased nice machines and accessories over the years. A used quality lathe will always hold its value in the used market, a package purchase
can many times pay for the lathe if you flip the accessories.

I was looking at the robust AB but it went up $1000 in the last month everyone has a breaking point and that was mine when it went up that much.
Talk to Brent English about a used/reconditioned AB. They don't turn up often, but it might be worth checking out. A turner in our local AAW chapter got a heck of a deal on a used lathe from Robust.

10 grand for a lathe? Who knew spinning a piece of wood around could cost so much? Maybe it just SEEMS expensive?
The whole world has gone nuts with this inflation!
I'd be looking used for a slightly better deal.
Well, Have you priced a new truck lately? The whole world has gone out of bounds.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Well, Have you priced a new truck lately? The whole world has gone out of bounds.
Yup.. to buy a new pickup nowadays, I'd have to take out a 30 year mortgage on it.. new truck sells for more than my dad's house (on an acre and a half of land) would be valued at... I am just stumped how some of these people seemingly on minimum wage jobs can afford a $85,000 diesel pickup. Prices on used are ridiculous too, nowadays.. some folks are trying to sell their old vehicles for almost as much (if not more) than what they paid for it new to begin with.

Yup.. to buy a new pickup nowadays, I'd have to take out a 30 year mortgage on it... I am just stumped how some of these people seemingly on minimum wage jobs can afford a $85,000 diesel pickup.
Someone once pointed out to me that the folks who have fancy houses and fancy vehicles CAN'T necessarily afford them. They may be living beyond their means, or neglecting funding their kids' education or their own retirement. Recalling that helps me avoid envy.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Brent said that he was shocked by the price jump in almost all of the material that goes into a lathe. He was absorbing the costs for a while hoping that the prices would go back down ... but they haven't. One example is the square tube used for the body of the American Beauty lathe, the cost has more than quadrupled.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Brent said that he was shocked by the price jump in almost all of the material that goes into a lathe. He was absorbing the costs for a while hoping that the prices would go back down ... but they haven't. One example is the square tube used for the body of the American Beauty lathe, the cost has more than quadrupled.
It’s a global issue. Brent buys US steel but when tarriffs boosted Chinese steel prices US steel price matched.
Easier to make more money by raising prices than by making more steel.
Oil raises the price of everything the US is a net exporter of petroleum but we pay global prices.
Short story a $5,000 lathe costs near double…..

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger on the AB; it’s 3-4 weeks out. Still SMH at the cost and that the wife said go for it!! I do have a PM 3520B on the block for $2800…..easy miles on it, used by a segmenter!! You only live once….allegedly!!

Oil and steel are priced as global commodities. Inflation is also a global issue. There is little any one country can do to slow it. The Nixon administration tried price freezes which came with a slew of other problems.
Transportation costs are the huge driver. But also just price gouging plain and simple. The major petroleum companies are posting quarterly profits that pre-COVID would have been a great yearly profit. American steel companies raised their prices to match the cost of Chinese steel after tariffs were put on China steel several years ago. Why make more product when they can just raise prices.

I'm sure Brent's material and employee costs have risen substantially. His primary business is lathes and not a ton of other equipment that he can spread out costs.

I think I've turned on most of the major lathes and I paid roughly $8K for my AB. At $10K I'd just have waited longer to buy. I have friends who have $35K fishing boats, or belong to Country Clubs to play golf with yearly dues 1/2 the cost of an AB.

My family owns a manufacturing business in Missouri. Dad said metal prices tripled last year. They are still rising. They have found it an advantage to keep a lot of metal stock on hand... Guess they plan for shortages, and rising prices...

robo hippy

Oil and steel are priced as global commodities. Inflation is also a global issue. There is little any one country can do to slow it. The Nixon administration tried price freezes which came with a slew of other problems.
Transportation costs are the huge driver. But also just price gouging plain and simple. The major petroleum companies are posting quarterly profits that pre-COVID would have been a great yearly profit. American steel companies raised their prices to match the cost of Chinese steel after tariffs were put on China steel several years ago. Why make more product when they can just raise prices.

I'm sure Brent's material and employee costs have risen substantially. His primary business is lathes and not a ton of other equipment that he can spread out costs.

I think I've turned on most of the major lathes and I paid roughly $8K for my AB. At $10K I'd just have waited longer to buy. I have friends who have $35K fishing boats, or belong to Country Clubs to play golf with yearly dues 1/2 the cost of an AB.
This is how I'm coming around to thinking about it. I think most of us know guys who sink thousands into tricked-out bass boats, golf or other expensive hobbies. At least with wood-turning, there is a feasible way to make your money back (which I am slowly working towards as I prepare to get my own (hopefully) "forever" lathe). The old saying "Buy once, cry once" also seems apropo here.

A second vote for the Vicmarc 240 "IF" because of your health issues, ergonomics is a prime factor in your lathe choosing decision. Only downside if you want to call it that is you must order from the Canadian distributor to get that machine. Craft Supplies USA only brings in the VL300 with the fixed head. For me, because of neck & back issues, the swivel head has been the cat's meow. Ken at Branches To Bowls is easy to deal with and was very helpful with ordering, install advice and follow up. Depending on exchange rates at time of ordering and what options you get with the machine, you can get a really nice rig in the 7K to 8k USD range, if that fits your budget. Here's a pic of mine with tailstock swing away & head turned 30 degrees. A very nice bowl & HF machine if that's the type of stuff you want to make. View attachment 47786
I just came across this review of the VL240 that Dave did in the Lancaster Coffee Hour:
Well worth the time if anyone is interested in more info on this lathe.

Back