• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Willow Natural Edge
Randy Anderson

Willow Natural Edge

From a very large willow tree that came down in my neighborhood in an ice storm this past winter. I'm working through some more of it but have learned willow is really tough to work with. Unless it's a really spectacular looking specimen I won't seek out more of it.
14 1/2" x 5". DO with beeswax.
Nice curve and nice even thickness, and nice looking piece of wood. I have never turned willow. What is it about turning willow that you don't like?

Bill, I turn a lot of green wood and am used to getting wet but, willow is another level altogether if cut fresh. LOTS of water. It doesn't tolerate scrapers well at all and simply tears and shreds vs cuts. I've found after it's dried just a bit it tolerates them a little better but still not well. For being a soft wood it dulls tools very quickly and needs a very sharp edge to get good cuts so - lots of sharpening. I've been told it has a high silica content. Not sure. The large growth rings means whole sections can come loose along the ring lines. I had the whole bottom come out of one bowl when it was essentially one large growth ring. It can develop lots of hairline cracks but not always. I had two different trees I worked with. One did, one didn't. I've noticed at markets that when people pick it up they're startled a bit by how light it is. The visual weight to size mental image is off so I think they're hesitant to purchase. Maybe it gives it a "cheap" feeling. Not sure. All that said, I've made some very nice vases and a few bowls from it and it can have a very unique and appealing look, depending on the tree. I've found I just cannot get walnut oil to cure on it so I use danish oil which seems to cure just fine. It's tough to get a very smooth sanded finish on it and after DO and some buffing with wax it can still develop a slight fuzz feel from raised grain so I give it a few days post finish and then hit it again with 600 or 400 grit and apply wax. That helps a lot but I think it's still prone to soak moisture from the air. Will see over time..

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Randy Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device