• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Two Honey Locust Vessels 1
E

Two Honey Locust Vessels 1

The vessel on the left is 7.5" w x 6" t and the other is 6" w x 85" t. Both are finished with Danish oil and buffed with white diamond and carnauba wax.
[FONT=&quot]Ed, you posted four great looking pieces today. I have never turned honey locust but if I ever get the chance. Of the four the one on the right in this post is my favorite. I will have to study the curves on the others tonight to see why. Maybe it's the lift and the closure inward toward the rim. Do both of these sit on a slight recess?[/FONT]

Thank you George. I allowed this wood to "age" in the elements for about two years turning and checking frequently. Much of the outside of the timber was soft and punky but once I got through about two inches of that, the rest was beautiful. I must mention that all of these pieces were made from limbs or branch wood and turned end grain with a couple turned side grain. These four pieces represent the beginning of a series I started about two weeks ago. I have 12 pieces done so far and enough wood left for about eight more. The rest are vases and hollow forms. Stay tuned for more in the next couple of weeks.

Much of the tree was turned green two years ago when I got the timber and although the grain has not changed, the color and character of the wood has improved. The wood was still "wet" but not green so turning it was such a pleasure and it dries quickly. I probably have some older pieces in my gallery made from the main trunk turned when green.

The tall vessels in both posts have a small flat spot about 1" in diameter. The shorter vessels both have round bottoms and rock nicely until they settle in.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ed Koenig
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device