• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Tree Star Bowl
Zach LaPerriere

Tree Star Bowl

In processing several tons of bowl stock from two massive ancient red alder, I only got a few bowls with tree star patterns—and this was the best of the bunch.

Aesthetically, I would have liked to round the base a little more, but that would have interfered with the pattern, so here you go.

Does anyone remember the proper term for tree star? I'm having a pre-senior moment. Thanks!
Thanks Bill! Much appreciated. Your dedication here is always appreciated.

I showed this bowl in blank form to Dr. Seri Robinson last year, and she confirmed that the tree star pattern itself isn't spalting—though there is varying degrees of spalting in the tree.

To my memory it has to do with tannins being deposited deep in the heart of the tree, and in some cases it leaves these patterns, especially in older trees, and if I recall right (senior moment again) may come when a tree is in decline (senescence).

At one point I found an article that describes this process and then I up and lost it! If I come across this again, I will share it.

Nice bowl.
I think it is the heartwood. I have seen this a few times.

Not sure what causes the starburst in the heartwood which usually follows the growth rings.

Once had a sweetgum with a starburst heartwood. Made a nice pattern in NE bowls

This is a red alder? Alnus Rubra..grows on the west coast.....from NorCal to Alaska?
Is this bowl colored artificially?
I am no expert.....but have cut an awful lot of red alder trees mostly firewood for 50 yrs..
Built a few quilt racks with red alder because I love the finished natural color.....
I have never seen that color in a red alder.....it is beautiful......
I am not doubting.....just amazed......

I should add. I have never seen an ancient red alder.....

I love the yellow color..
Very lovely bowl

TY
Mlyle

Another question...

Where was this tree? What state and county if known.......any pics of the tree?

Would be interesting to see that tree!!!

Mlyle

@Michael Lyle Great questions. This is in Alaska, I live in Sitka. I'm calling it ancient because it was somewhere over 130 years old, and the official record is 100. There is a HUGE difference in old growth alder verses second growth. That partly accounts for the color, and the fact that the tree was standing dead. That is the natural color. We did a video of the process.
I'm passionate about alder and other local trees, so feel free to ask any other questions.

EDIT: I should note: the tree this bowl came from is the one you see in the first seconds of the video that I felled.

Zach. Really nice video........thank you....

I sense you are happy man.......and def in your element....

Fyi......I am presently building a lathe stand / table out of
Alaskan Yellow Cedar and Maple.....first time I have touched Alaskan Y C.....it is
Beautiful wood...lovely light yellow/white.....

Thanks again

Mlyle

@Michael Lyle You're welcome. The lathe stand sounds amazing! Yellow cedar is a fantastic wood. I need to turn more. I live in a yellow cedar forest, my house stands on YC pilings and my shop floor and joists are up to 28" wide YC from a salvaged tree that blew over across the bay.

You've probably heard that YC is toxic. Especially sanding dust. I've always been careful, but most people I know who have worked with it for long have developed severe allergies to it.

Yellow cedar sure pairs well with other woods. I haven't seen yellow cedar and maple together—I hope you post a picture!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Zach LaPerriere
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device