• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
The Vessel
Osage Orange calabash form with three Wenge pewa. I carved the interior, coated with two layers of India ink, and then painted a ton of tiny dots with Acrylic paint. The idea: Vessels are so common and important in societies across the world, I have a hard time imaging that extraterrestrials wouldn't have their own versions of bowls, platters, plates, etc... Footless round bottom, with dimple. Interior finished with satin lacquer, exterior unfinished. 3.25"h x 7.5"d.
Here is a view of the other side, as well as one of the interior. In the photograph, the dots kind of look like confetti, but in person the interior looks like some of the Hubble/James Webb images of the cosmos. I used an image I find online as a very rough guide.

vm8mMz1.jpeg

O1MPSlg.jpeg

What did u use to carve interior, looks as if was turned, equal thickness.

The ancient calabashes of old Hawaii inspire this, but I would not go so far as to call it a calabash. The main reason is the foot. Pre-contact calabashes also had an unfinished inside. Although we finish them nowadays, we do not embellish them. But I really like the cosmos inside. The Hawaiians still navigate around the world guided only by the stars in the sky in their now-famous Hokulea double hull long-distance canoe. Other than the foot, the shape is excellent. One way of fixing the mistake in labeling the wood, chuck it up in the vacuum and take the foot off, LOL

Love it, Michael. How did you apply the paint dots?
I use that technique a lot. I use a small Ø brass rod (any metal will do) that is slightly rounded over on the tip which is mounted in a dowel (like a pencil). Dip the tip in the paint and touch to the surface - it will self level. Different sizes for different sized dots. Maybe you already do that.🙂
Problem I have now is that I have trouble holding a pen or pencil and my hand shakes a little .... frustrating. :(

The main reason is the foot. Pre-contact calabashes also had an unfinished inside. Although we finish them nowadays, we do not embellish them.
Thanks for the kind words and the information. That’s interesting about star navigation in a canoe. Amazing.

You’re right though, inspired by the ancient form for sure. I wouldn’t call this traditional because of the embellished interior. The bottom is rounded though. No foot, and I think this would look kind of goofy if I did have one. It would totally ruin the curve. I do have a nickel-sized dimple though. It’ll be a quarter-size dimple after I fix that goober mistake. Here’s a shot I posted in another thread: https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/marking-your-work.22383/post-238576

Love it, Michael. How did you apply the paint dots?
Thanks Tom. I used a spotter brush with synthetic bristles. It’s very small, maybe 1mm diameter for the group of bristles. It carries heavy-bodied paint well, so you can control the amount pretty dependably. Still takes a steady hand though! I like your rounded rod method. I have something in the works (still in my mind) that will require more uniformity. Going to steal that method from you :)

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device