• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Sweetgum Calabash
Marc Banka

Sweetgum Calabash

Emiliano recently did a demo for our turning club. Although this wasn’t strictly because of that—it was rough turned a year ago—I appreciated his perspectives and suggestions, which were in my mind as I did the finish turning. So, thank you Emiliano.

Sweetgum (Velvet Walnut) 14 inches by 9. Oil and wax finish

I had been nervous about making a truly round bottom, opting often for near flat approaching center. Don’t want it to lean, no list to starboard! I made this one really round, with a bit more weight down low. It rocks, rolls and returns to true!
Nice piece!
round bottoms are amazingly stable - they will rock a bit but won’t spill the contents or fall over

Looking good!! Beautiful wood! Now take it back to the shop and sand off those lines, LOL There is no doubt this is a calabash, with a few lines. Well done.
Thank you Emiliano. I’m so relieved my unauthorized lines weren’t disqualifying!
My approach to Calabash bowls, and most other things, is to look at what’s been done, look at the examples, listen to the lore and methodology, and then do it my way. Sometimes it works. Other times I learn.
You gave great help understanding the lore, as well as issues about balance in particular that I found very useful.
So, thank you.

Nice piece!
round bottoms are amazingly stable - they will rock a bit but won’t spill the contents or fall over
Yes, much more stable than I thought before trying them. Now I really enjoy them, especially if I think the wood might move.
My wife reminded me that I’ve been a fan of round bottoms— long before my woodturning days.

Beautiful piece of wood, and well done. For the record, I rather like the decorative lines with this classic shape. They draw the eye across the entire bowl. Great job.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Marc Banka
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename