• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Storm Over The Pacific
Kevin Jesequel

Storm Over The Pacific

This small walnut bowl was inspired by this months AAW Forum challenge to turn a low calabash bowl. I had roughed this one out about a year ago. I instantly thought it would be a great opportunity to play with some more sandblasted black-on-black effects. I was working on this while we were learning about the devastation on Maui and almost set it aside. There is a few changes to the process I will make on the next one, but overall I am happy with how it came out. Since I am sure it will be asked, I covered the entire bowl in resist then drew on the pattern and cut it out with an exacto knife.
Kevin, how do you get the resist to fit tightly against the radius sides of the vessel please? Excellent pattern and vessel!!
Thanks, Russ! I cut it into strips and pieced it together on the vessel. I then added another strip over the seams. It was a pita and something I plan to improve on the next one.

Love this bowl. Have you tried the paint on cement resist? Not sure how well it would work for sandblasting but might be easier to apply?
Thank you, Steve! I hadn’t thought about cement resist, but my instincts tell me it wouldn’t work for the blasting. However, if I decide to selectively color the piece after blasting, I think it would be the way to go.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Kevin Jesequel
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device