• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Stories of Hina
David Somers

Stories of Hina

OK....this was my 5th and final piece entered in the Big Island Woodturners Show. We normally allow each turner four entries, but this year they wanted to encourage folks to go outside of their comfort zone and allowed a 5th piece if it was wayyyy different than the other 4 pieces. This was my attempt at stepping out of the box.

You are all probably pretty used to my chattiness on the site. Bare with me while I give you the story that this piece depicts.

-----------------------------------------

Hina was an important Goddess and woman to Hawaiians, and known in similar form to all the Pacific Island peoples from Samao to New Zealand to Tahiti. She lived on the banks of the Wailuku River near Rainbow Falls in what is now Hilo, on the Big Island of Hawaii. There she taught Hawaiians how to make fine Tapa cloth by soaking the inner bark of the Wauke or Paper Mulberry Tree until it was soft. She taught them to lay the fibers on the kua or tapa board and join the fibers together by pounding them with a round beater called a hohoa, and thinning and refining the cloth by pounding it with a 4 sided beater called an iekuku.

Hina had trouble drying the finished cloth though because in those early days the Sun raced across the sky too quickly. Her son Maui caught the Sun as it rose above Haleakala on what we now know as the island of Maui and forced it to move more slowly across the skies so his mothers tapa could dry. Maui's battle with the sun gave us the day lengths we all enjoy today.

At one point Hina grew tired of her life on earth and eventually made the difficult climb to the moon and now makes her home there. As she climbed to the moon the stars spilled from the food calabash she carried and settled about her in the heavens.

The ebonized cedar disk represents the dark night skies. Silver inlay depicts the major and minor stars of the constellation Pleiades, or Makalii, one of the many sets of stars that spilled from her calabash during Hinas travels to the moon.

This all forms a backdrop for the crescent moon made of white camphor where Hina lives making tapa. Wauke leaves of verdigris copper adorn the mango kua and iekuku and hand made tapa cloth.

Thanks everyone!

Dave
I can really appreciate the piece after reading your artist statement. When I first saw the piece (before reading your statement) I had a much different interpretation. Good luck in the show.

Ed

Thanks for the kind comments!

After I posted it I realized the tapa beater kind of looks like a wine bottle. I can imagine some of the interpretations that would involve wine and leaves and rough cloth!

This show has no winner. No competition, which is nice. Though you can sell your pieces if you want. Its a great show if you can make it out here. Runs from Friday the 22nd through March 26 in Hilo. My guess is there are over 200 pieces submitted. Some pretty amazing work submitted, mine being pretty low on the scale in my mind. Some gorgeous stuff done out here.

David, Aloha! Spectacular piece and a great story. My SWMBO was a docent at the Royal HI Palace for 3 years when we lived at Makalapa. Wonderful times and people. Phil

Dave, there may be no prizes at the show, but you get the POD today!

POD 02-22-08
AAW Home Page Photo Of the Day
---
KurtB
AAW Forums Co-Moderator
--------------------------
Kurt Bird
President
Stateline Woodturners
NW Arkansas

Thanks Phillip and Kurt!

Hawaii is a pretty special place. I am lucky to be able to spend time working on most of the islands. Glad you and your wife had a great experience here! That palace is an amazing place isn't it?

Kurt, Where in Arkansas are you? I worked for a few years at Hot Springs National Park.

Dave,
I am in Rogers, Arkansas, 30 minutes from both OK and MO. Our scenery isn't as spectacular as yours, but then again, we don't have to ship overseas either!::D
Kurt

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
David Somers
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata