• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Squash Blossom basket
C

Squash Blossom basket

15 1/2" basket done with two pieces of 8/4 hard maple glued together. This is design is one that Steve Mawson did and he said I was welcome to use it. I think he took it from an original Pima basket.
Curt,
The center of these basket illusions is always a problem. The radial lines are too close together to be of use and look terrible. You solved that problem nicely. I suspect I've seen that done before but not for a long time. Very well done. My bride and I are collaborating on one even as we speak so I'll have something to show you soon enough. Your's, however, is remarkable.

Now, you raised two issues. You say your joined two pieces of Maple? Excellent idea. Almost makes me want to run out to Home Dept. And the design. There's a number of great books on Native American Basket Weaving where you'll find tons of design ideas. Nothing says you can't use one of them either. And no one says you can modify one to suit your own needs.

You've done well with this one. Keep at it. You're an inspiration to all of us.

Jerry

Beautiful work Curtis --I'm working on a small basket illusion currently --I find them relaxing and enjoyable

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Curt Fuller
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device