• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Shallow walnut crotch figure bowl
Lou Jacobs

Shallow walnut crotch figure bowl

Bowl is 11 1/4” diameter by 1 1/4” tall. Sanded to 600 grit and finished with Doctor’s Woodshop bowl finish.
Thank you Russ. I can’t take any credit for the figure. I decided to keep the bowl simple as the wood speaks for itself.
Beautiful figure ... and you showcased it very well with your choice of form, Lou.
However, those sanding scratches at about 12-1 o'clock on the wide rim mar the overall beauty of your bowl, IMO. Also, since the photo shows the bowl still mounted on your lathe I assume it isn't completely finished (but will make it easier to remove those scratches).
I may be wrong on this, but I believe only finished/completed pieces should be posted in the Gallery - but this would be fine if posted in Discussions. Just my 2¢. :)

Beautiful figure ... and you showcased it very well with your choice of form, Lou.
However, those sanding scratches at about 12-1 o'clock on the wide rim mar the overall beauty of your bowl, IMO. Also, since the photo shows the bowl still mounted on your lathe I assume it isn't completely finished (but will make it easier to remove those scratches).
I may be wrong on this, but I believe only finished/completed pieces should be posted in the Gallery - but this would be fine if posted in Discussions. Just my 2¢. :)
Tom, you’re correct about the scratches. I’ll put it back on the lathe and see if I can remove them. I didn’t notice them when looking directly at the piece, but they clearly show up in the photo.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Lou Jacobs
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device