• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Saturday Morning Traditions
Michael Anderson

Saturday Morning Traditions

Pecan, vintage spoon, acrylic, India ink. 6" x 6" x 6". I turned, carved, pyroed, and painted this bowl, and added a few special surprises to the interior (see below). The vintage spoon came from a folk artist friend I know on another platform. This was a fun project that I created for the POP Balance exhibition. I believe I posted a shot of the bare bowl in the "what's on your lathe" thread a while ago. I aimed to make something that represents a portion of my childhood and also gives a sense of my trajectory as a parent. Theme statement included below.
Cereal. It’s part of a balanced breakfast. It contributes nutrients that our body needs. It also evokes memories of childhood: Saturday mornings eating cereal and watching cartoons. After cartoons were finished, we played outside until the sun set. There was a nice balance of screen time and wild-thing time. Life was simple then. Now that I am a parent, I want my children to experience that same balance. I struggle with the common questions: how do I comfort, what should I say, am I a good enough…what’s for breakfast? Let’s just sit down together and eat cereal.

Alternative views, including a shot of tiny little carved feet on the bottom:

mffnrvw.jpeg

APXXqmW.jpeg

xfVIO1P.jpeg

Haha- I love it! Total surprise looking inside. Mission accomplished!
Big parenting moment when the kids get up and serve themselves cereal by themselves!
So well done. How did you do the spoon??

Thanks a lot Barry, Dean, Dimitris, and Will!

Dean, how time flies! I give a lot of credit to this forum. Being able to “hang out” here is a great push for a lot of skills. Still a long way to go though! :)

Will, gosh that will be great—can’t even fathom that, haha. My 2.5 year old is in an early rise phase right now. Whew! And for the spoon, I cut away the front of it except for a little tan in the middle. Drilled a hole on the bowl, and then epoxied the tan into the hole. It took a lot of filing to get the angle of the spoon to match the bowl, but worth it in the end.

Very Clever. When reviewing the gallery this piece caught my attention then the inside held me. Having likely consumed a million or more mini-wheats I feel attached. Great job!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device