• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Sadie Plate
Jeff Myroup

Sadie Plate

I made this plate for Victoria Stilwell from Animal Planet's TV show "It's me or The Dog". It features her rescue Chocolate Lab, Sadie. I was presented to her on Monday. I was told she absolutely loves it. I wish i could have given it to her in person. I would have loved to meet her.

The plate is 12" hard Maple. The rim features silver leaf with a chemical patina. The name was inlaid prior to gilding. The image is hand burned, and took about 15 hours to complete. Color was added after the burning to add to the highlights and lowlights.
Jeff, this plate it truly exquisite. I am really impressed. The burning is wonderful, and I really love the gilding with the patina. What did you use? Was it an acid wash? How did you apply it to the silver leaf, to give it such depth?

Thanks Peter. The rim is a multi-step process. I first use my drill wizard to drill five 3/4" holes about 3/16" deep. I inlaid maple letters and ebony. Once that was done the plate was masked off. I sealed the rim with spray lacquer. I then masked off the letters and airbrushed the rim black. That was then sealed. I used oil sizing for the leaf. The leaf was just torn and applied to the sizing once it came to tack. I also use wax paper to create a resist. I am going for a random look. I let the plate set for about an hour and then removed the skewings. I decided to try a new technique on this rim. I took a little blunted scribe and while the leaf was still tacky, I etched in the black lines, just randomly. The leaf comes off very easily while it is drying. I let is set for 24 hours. For the patina I used sulfated potash. I use a sea sponge to apply it. I use a paper towel to blot it dry to stop the reaction. Once dry, I use lacquer to seal it.

Thanks Norm. How is everything up in Nova Scotia. My FIL's family is from Glace Bay. I hope someday to visit Nova Scotia. My wife said it is a great place.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jeff Myroup
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device